A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preloader problem

preloader problem

hello

i am modifying a flash movie designed for broadband - very image heavy photo site. I designed this so that it downloads about 20 % of the way before totally loaded rather than waiting for whole lot to download before playing

i have been asked to place a preloader for that 20 percent - ok no problem - i have put my actual movie in scene 2 and used a percentile preloader for scene one taht leads to scene 2

however the size generator says that there is so much info downloaded at frame 1 that the preloader does not show up till about 17 % of the way through which kind of makes it useless (as the movie starts playing at 20 percent)

why is there so much info in my first frame - the preloader is small so why doesnt it start playing immediately, sre there any ways to try and get the preloader to start from 1 %

yours hopefully - john

Many unseen things load in frame 1 by default. Any movie clip or sound with a Linkage setting to "Export for Actionscripting" will load in frame 1. Components and embedded fonts also load in frame 1. Publish a Size Report to find out what all is loading in frame 1. The only way around it is to not use those items, or use a preloader that loads the movie, then goes away.

ideally what i would like to do is have a preloader only on level0 which loads a movie into level1 - but the preloader must be able to count a percentage based on level1 - is this possible

thanks for the reply - i will look into the export for actionscript - i dont think i used it

Not Real since 1985
    Objects which are in the library and put on stage by as are by default exported in frame 1. If you deselect 'export in frame 1' you have to put this in movie somewhere, else it will not be included.
    What I did was, using a preloader in the first few frames. After preloading you skip all frames between preloader and the start of your movie.
    On these frame you skip, you drag everything from your library which is not already in the movie. Clips, sounds, etc.
    My first 3 frames which contain the preloader are 9 kB in size, of a total of 570 kB.
    It makes even the preloader start at 2%.
    Never accept the first 'impossible' unless it comes from a lady.