A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Norwegian and I have nothing against Islam

What hatred? I'm not the one taking people hostage or calling in bomb threats.

I made a clear distinction in my earlier post between mainstream Muslims and radicals.

You need a reality check.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

PAlexC, read my post again. I clearly point that statement toward people resorting to name calling.

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

The only fact that has been clearly displayed in this discussion of yours is that you like to tie irrelevant issues to each other.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Did they ever reach a concensus on whether the Holocaust actually occurred or not?
    they had to put their fresh data aside for now to deal with mean cartoons...
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

The only fact that has been clearly displayed in this discussion of yours is that you like to tie irrelevant issues to each other.
    I don't expect you to agree with my views. But if you plan to join an argument, please have something more to say than attacking me personally.

Better yet, don't read my posts, if they are so irrelevant.
    Flipsideguy

Wasn't ment as an attack, it was more an observation on your debating style. And avoiding these threads as such sounds like a very excellant suggestion.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Let's try to keep the flames down girls, I could slap most of you in here with finger pointing and a "Holier Than Though" attitude. Debate, that's cool, just keep it under control.

Don't make me start singling individuals out please...

flip, your argument almost sounds condescending and patronizing defending the radicals. it's almost like you're patting them on the head, telling them, "it's okay, i know someone hurt your feelings and made fun of your religion and you're angry".

so if these guys saw the daily show uncensored on cable, what's next? what about when jay leno makes osama's mouth move? would that anyone's feelings? perhaps my feelings are hurt your avatar represents sorcery,witchcraft, and paganism and violates my judeo-christian mantra that there are no spirits other than blah Blah BLAH??? slippery slope, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich
    Let's try to keep the flames down girls, I could slap most of you in here with finger pointing and a "Holier Than Though" attitude. Debate, that's cool, just keep it under control.

Don't make me start singling individuals out please...

Oooh! Do me; do me!

erova, this is not about feelings being hurt. I believe this is about sacrilegious acts toward one specific religion in media and elsewhere. The cartoons aren't personal attacks against specific people. They are mockeries of a whole religion.

By showing the prophet of Islam, who is not be depicted according to their religion, with a bomb on/in his turban is a blatant defamation of a specific religious faith.

My comment about radicals is to further enforce my argument that this type of hate toward a religion only begets hate.

It is not my intention to be condescending. And I apologize if I offended anyone.

The avatar stays!

/Flip
    Last edited by flipsideguy; 02-03-2006 at 12:21 AM.
    Flipsideguy

As if mockeries of other religions have never occured?

Islam is a religion that, believe it or not, states "An eye for an eye". Add the clerics twisting the message even more, and how can that not breed violence?

The fact is, they're getting twisted up over an image that, although agreebly a controversial image and distasteful, is one that does not, or atleast should not, effect them. It's in Norway.

By the way, anyone know where a copy of this picture can be found? I think it would help along discussion, or cause a flamewar. Both of which are always productive.

Google Images->'Danish Cartoon'. I believe the image in question is the second one. It's a pretty poorly drawn cartoon.

Oh wait I just saw a cartoon depicting George Bush as a terrorist!
    Excuse me while I go take some hostages.

a group that cant handle a cartoon is incompatible with any diverse society. anyone can find a defamation, mockery or violation of most of the 10 commandments within 5 seconds of searching on the internet but it doesnt make a big public debate every time. some people need to get over themselves.

"but just through some fuel on the fire.. check out what's going on with muslims in thailand... who the hell could have a problem with thailand?"

i live in thailand. the problem has been around for some 15 yrs. it only got more intense after 9/11. before that they only shot officers, now its kidnappings, hostage takings, family slaughter(including infants), and beheading!!

im not going on in details but this sh1t happening over here involve foreign elements

To be fair people wanted to ban the gerry springer opera because of it's blasphemy. Also sikhs campaigned against a play not too long ago.

It does actually say in the koran that you shouldn't mock the prophet but I don't think it's strictly a muslim thing, just a religious looney thing.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

I think its commen knowledge to everyone participating in this thread that Muslims and radicals are two different things, and that you can't generalise Muslims and say that they are bad people.

In fact this is exactly the same as all the other events; It's simply radicals who over react, and every time the media depicts it as "The Muslim World" and the people who only get their info from the news freaks out.

Muslim

Radical Muslim

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Cough, Cough...

SO IT'S ABOUT RELIGION EH??

Who here knows that it is extremely sacrilegious/blasphemous to depict GOD in the CHRISTIAN religion?? In fact, that's why we have thousands of potrails of Jesus in art around the globe but virtually none of God.

In fact, this "rule" regarding idolatry comes from the old testament, and is the SAME RULE muslims apply to the prophet mohammed.

Yet the people who call in bomb threats to FOX after Family Guy airs because it showed god, or the people who threaten violence if ABC fails to Boycott the Book of Daniel because the priest has a gay son, are seen as nutjobs.

Why don't people stand up for them?

A Dannish cartoon depicts mohammed, and people say it's "ok", or "understandable" that people are up in arms, threatening peoples live?

Fox's Family Guy depicts god, and the people who threaten FOX just can't get no support.

Why?? Cause people who threaten others are JOKES.

I didn't phrase that well but my basic idea is people have become TOO tolerant. Oh we have to respect their right to terrorism because its part of culture, religion etc. Tolerance ENDS where intolerance BEGINS. I think it's bullsh*t that we have to tolerate cultures who refuse to tolerate ours in return.

We have the RIGHT to free speech, We have the RIGHT to depict mohammed bending over and grabbing his ankles if we want to.. This is what we do in western culture, we poke fun at religious figures, politicians, celebrities. Telling us that this can't be done in our countries (it was printed in Denmark and reprinted in France) is like us going into Iraq/Iran and ripping the hijab off womens heads saying that can't be worn.

We have to respect their culture, but they don't have to respect our culture, because not respecting our culture is part of their culture and we have to respect that.. sorry but what a load if you ask me.

For those of you who still do not think the radical religious right is in charge here in the states, take a gander at this:

US sides with Muslims in cartoon dispute
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Washington on Friday condemned caricatures in European newspapers of the Prophet Mohammad, siding with Muslims who are outraged that the publications put press freedom over respect for religion.
    </stiring up trouble>
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia

Radical Muslim
    ewwww... this dude has a radical appearance... should be put on the cover of skateboarder magazine... with a caption that reads "tumbled down 300 stair flight"
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.