A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Norwegian and I have nothing against Islam

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Where is WASHINGTON when you need them??? Someone stop the blasphemy :P

Origin of the cartoon

The cartoon series appearing on this page that sparked a global controversy was commissioned and published by a Danish newspaper as a deliberate challenge to Muslim insistence that their religious feelings must be given special consideration.

The drawings were commissioned by the Jyllands-Posten (Jutland's Post) to accompany an article on self-censorship and freedom of speech after Danish writer Kare Bluitgen was unable failed to find artists willing to illustrate his children's book about Mohammed for fear of violent attacks by extremist Muslims.

Islamic teachings forbid pictorial depictions of Mohammed.

The cartoons were published on September 30 with an explanatory article by the newspaper's culture editor, Flemming Rose.

The following is a translated summary of the article and explanation of the cartoons published in the Internet encyclopedia Wikipedia.

"The modern, secular society is rejected by some Muslims. They demand a special position, insisting on special consideration of their own religious feelings.

"It is incompatible with contemporary democracy and freedom of speech, where you must be ready to put up with insults, mockery and ridicule.

"It is certainly not always equally attractive and nice to look at, and it does not mean that religious feelings should be made fun of at any price, but that is less important in this context. [...] we are on our way to a slippery slope where no one can tell how the self-censorship will end.

"That is why the Jyllands-Posten has invited members of the Danish editorial cartoonists union to draw Mohammed as they see him."

Forty artists were invited to give their interpretation on of how Mohammed may have looked. Twelve responded.

What about the Iranian newspapers that depict Jews, Rabbis and Sharon as monsters and demons on a constant basis? Or the U.S. as an idiot puppet of these demons?

Daryl Cagle on Slate published cartoons form Iran a couple years ago to show the other side of the coin. Go look 'em up.

Again, I don't care if Islam forbids caricatures of Mohammad. Those are rules for Muslims to follow, not everyone else. While it may be insensitive to break that rule if you're not a Muslim, it certainly doesn't warrant the threat of violence as a response.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 02-03-2006 at 03:39 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    What about the Iranian newspapers that depict Jews, Rabbis and Sharon as monsters and demons on a constant basis? Or the U.S. as an idiot puppet of these demons?

Daryl Cagle on Slate published cartoons form Iran a couple years ago to show the other side of the coin. Go look 'em up.

Again, I don't care if Islam forbids caricatures of Mohammad. Those are rules for Muslims to follow, not everyone else. While it may be insensitive to break that rule if you're not a Muslim, it certainly doesn't warrant the threat of violence as a response.
    I agree completely there Palexc,

It seems its OK that Christians are made funs of in "free speech",
    It seems its OK that Jews are made fun of in "free speech",
    Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, even Atheists, all can be made fun of for their beliefs.. both openly and publicly.. on radio, TV, in newspapers, etc,.

Yet muslims are requesting special treatment, to be immune from satirical opining, and not only requesting it but getting APOLOGIES from the heads of state (France, USA, Denmark etc.,).

That is over the top if you ask me.

As long as everyone says 'Merry Christmas' we won't be havin' no problems...
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

This angers me.

The U.S. gov't wasn't obligated in any way to comment on this. Some sleazy PR junkie thought they would try to earn some brownie points with the Muslim community, rather than stand up for free speech. That punk at the state department should be fired for not keeping his mouth shut when he could have.

If this were an American paper, they wouldn't have made any comment other than "the paper is responsible for itself." If they threw "press responsibility" at an American paper, this country would be up in arms.

I'm really ashamed of our gov't right now.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 02-03-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by flipshark
    I agree completely there Palexc,

That is over the top if you ask me.
    it is way over the top... they should worry about the garbage propaganda flooding their state controlled papers... really.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

The problem with the arab world is they don't eat any good pork meat. Start eating pork, you'll feel better about the world.

...."la la la hmm hm tra lala...I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I've over...." oops sorry.....wrong thread.

iTony

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC

I'm sorry to resort to a "two wrongs don't make a right" comment. But it's what's happening in with this argument.

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

Quote Originally Posted by flipsideguy
    I'm sorry to resort to a "two wrongs don't make a right" comment. But it's what's happening in with this argument.

/Flip
    No... you don't get what he's saying.

He is saying there is a double standard. If one person/group does something over and over again, but then complains when another person/group does the same thing back to the first group... thats a double standard.

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    i have only read the 1st page so its more of a side note but didnt the majority of the profits dipict (use imagary to portray) poeple, nations and God?

"Islamic law, based on clerics' interpretation of the Quran and the sayings of the prophet, absolutely forbids depictions, even positive ones, of the Prophet Muhammad in order to prevent idolatry."
    I like good music.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    No... you don't get what he's saying.

He is saying there is a double standard. If one person/group does something over and over again, but then complains when another person/group does the same thing back to the first group... thats a double standard.
    I totally get what he's saying. He's asking why it is ok for Iranians to depict Jews in a distasteful way, but not for the Danish to do it to Muslims.

Err... yeah it's a case of "two wrongs don't make a right" if I ever saw one. Either way, I am yet to hear that Iranians are making any threats over the cartoons. Why even mention them???

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

I totally get what he's saying. He's asking why it is ok for Iranians to depict Jews in a distasteful way, but not for the Danish to do it to Muslims.

Err... yeah it's a case of "two wrongs don't make a right" if I ever saw one. Either way, I am yet to hear that Iranians are making any threats over the cartoons. Why even mention them???

/Flip
    No, the Iranians are busy doing other things..like developing nuclear weapons, so that the religion of peace can be further promoted..

But please continue...

iTony

Way to go off tangent. But since you brought it up.... This falls into the category of buying into propaganda.

You so conveniently call it 'nuclear weapons.'

Show me one evidence that Iran is actually developing nuclear weapons, and that their nuclear energy program isn't for just that--energy.

Just because US propaganda says it's the case doesn't make it so. Learn from history (recent history). And please don't come back with a "but, the EU is saying it too." The EU is saying it to save their relationship with the US over the Iraq war. Why? Jews > US > EU in the global hierarchy.

Freedom fries anyone?

/Flip
    Last edited by flipsideguy; 02-03-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Flipsideguy

My comment about radicals is to further enforce my argument that this type of hate toward a religion only begets hate.

The avatar stays!

/Flip
    Hate only begets hate.....the cartoons were obviously an attempt at humor ( as untasteful as they are ) they weren't an incitement of hate.

The problem stems with Muslims, who cannot, like mature people, simply ignore them, but seem to be insulted by them and who want to impose "their" Religious dogma on the rest.

This is just another step in the creation a society based on 2 laws ( in England Muslims are already pushing authorities for their leaders to deal with community issues ( regarding muslims) under their Sharia laws as opposed to Common Law of the land).....thanks to multiculturalism.

Oh yeah the 2 laws is based on this: It's ok for them to incite to hatred and violence using, race, religion, and prejudice.

But it's against the law when others (not of their faith ) do it.

iTony

Way to go off tangent. But since you brought it up.... This falls into the category of buying into propaganda.

You so conveniently call it 'nuclear weapons.'

Show me one evidence that Iran is actually developing nuclear weapons, and that their nuclear energy program isn't for just that--energy.

Just because US propaganda says it's the case doesn't make it so. Learn from history (recent history). And please don't come back with a "but, the EU is saying it too." The EU is saying it to save their relationship with the US over the Iraq war. Why? Jews > US > EU in the global hierarchy.

Freedom fries anyone?

/Flip
    No, I'm not going to show you, and Im not going to provide links....if you haven't been following the news lately,and if you are really that gullible, there is no point, it seems like everyone else (including China and Russia) the IAEA is convinced that they are...except you.

NOTE: I don't want to take this thread off topic either...

iTony

To put these types of anti-islam propaganda in a broader perspective, western media is relentless in their pursuit of swaying public opinion in the west. Read this line from CNN and tell me if it isn't loaded with spin.

"German media have reported the technology was intended for Iran, to be used in its Shahab, or Shooting Star, medium-range missile program that can carry a nuclear warhead and reach Israel and various U.S. military bases in the region." Source: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

This happens all the time. The reaction that you are seeing isn't due to a single occurence of cartoons meant for humor. In my opinion, accumulating anti-islam propaganda is reaching a boiling point. There is absolutely no need for more. Period.

This debate is about media, protected under free speach, acting wrecklessly, in order to achieve a specific goal. While you might call it humor, others aren't taking it sitting down.

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

The EU is saying it to save their relationship with the US over the Iraq war. Why? Jews > US > EU in the global hierarchy.

/Flip
    Thank you, you just confirmed what I thought when I started reading your posts.

iTony

Quote Originally Posted by XU1
    if you haven't been following the news lately
    iTony
    Exactly... "the news"

/Flip
    Flipsideguy