A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Rollcanvas III: Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by noiselab
    well some people are mentioning bad transitions and visible breaks, when ( on my screen anyway ) their own volleys break the continuity VERY visibly.
    Well, I suppose you mean me. I never did say I was perfect though.

*whew*

Natsia: love this, barbed wire works great with the text. Great strong start

Rush: very simple but great piece. Love the scan line details and the barbed wire turning into a ribbon

Silver: I really like the idea of the dude painting. But like Davulf said I would have liked to see it continue the scan lines with the black stripe. Sweet leave though, for a great transition to

Onine: SWEET! Reminds me of Paul Frank (hope you don’t mind) and I LOVE Paul Frank. Also see the barbwire come back up here, nice touch.

EVP: For some reason the HTML color is off, but in the flash version the transition is perfect! I am surprised that this was really the only gothy piece, but I think that is why it is all the more unique. I love the illustration too. Very different for you.

FlashPenguin: This is by far one of my favorite transitions. The piece is simple but comes out well. I like the streaking in the sky, it gives it a lot of motion

MrKavavle: This is one of my favorite images, I love the texture and detail in this one. The only issue I have with this is the text, I feel like it could have blended more with the stone (?) behind it.

CT: What can I say? Another masterful piece and what a change of mood! And one of the hardest leaves as well, which

Flashlight : handled amazingly! Perfect blending I am soo impressed with this. Also love the mixing of nature and geometric shapes.

Dave O : I like the way the white blends in to the paint (?) or wreckage (?) in the transation at the bottom. Love that this is another Nature scene in the middle of so much abstract work.

Jwin : another favorite transition, guess I am just a sucker for ripped paper huh? Another hint of the barbed wire too! I am a little iffy on the font use, I really can’t say what I would have used but I don’t feel quite right on the one you have.

Pea3698: Something happened with the color here, don’t really know what. But I really like this image, very abstract and great shapes.

DaVulf: you are way hard on yourself man, yeah the transition was a little off, but this is a sweet image. I adore the girl, really like that combination of the “vector” and stock, it came out great. More barbed wire here! Love that!

Admedia: You do not come are out the arena half as much as you should. This transition and image are AMAZING, definitely one of my favorite in both categories. The wire plunging in to the ground and coming out as a serpent? Brilliant! Ooo and the colors…Pretty Colors. Do I see some more barbed wire? I think I do!

CI : Perfect transition! I am really impressed with how clean the clouds and water came out.

Gerby: I have to disagree with DuVulf on this…There are three things I always love about your images, composition, text, and the girls. This one fulfills all three excellently.

Squidlips: my guess is Grinspoon — “Dcx3”… okay I googled it … I don’t know who they are… I think this one flows really well with mine (if I do say so my self)

GG: I actually really like this one, I haven’t done anything like this style before, but I think it worked out well.

Happy Pixel: Love the color changes. I also really like how the rays in this get continued through the next 2 volleys.

Zacaboo: This is another one of my favorites. I really like the transition. But I think the roll canvas text on the lower left takes away from it a little.

NepZap: Another awesome transition here!. I really like the abstract aspect of this one.

Noiselab: Awesome textography., Love the combination of sloppy brush work and overlays with the crisp photo background.

Lefty: I could really see this image on a t-shirt. And the barbed wire makes another appearance. Ooo I wish I had included that element in mine too.

Carly: I love your style, a lot of the work you have up on DA made me want to work with vectors more. Love it image too, very clean with great color use. And the barbed wire!

PointGuard: Don’t know what happened to the color here but I love this image. Great use of text here.

Nords: WOW!, what a great picture! Perfect transition, and amazing image, I love that the glow of the orbs is coming from the color of the water in pointguards image.

Dri: Your color use ties all four of these (PointGuard-Waste) together SO well. A lot of your recent stuff has made we want to try out some more abstract work.

Waste: How could I not love something with a boombox! I really like how this one continues and changes the so subtlety.

MrMalee: What a perfect end to an amazing Roll Canvas. Even though Hal does scare me a little.
    Last edited by Ghostgirl705; 04-16-2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: grammar

The enemy's gate is down
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Now entirely made up of magic internet dust bits!

No not at all I'm just noticing that even my own volley looks different in the final strip than it does in my saved PSD. Maybe PNG's are to blame.

Same here it looke 3 -4 shades darker when i open it and view both on the same monitor. png have to be whats up I was using PS CS for my final output...
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

GG, thanks so much for your contribution and rating on all the images. I appreciate the criticisms immensely. I do think that the part of my image that I liked the most was the girl, but I felt that the poor transition (I think the white part I did well) of the brown area took away from it.

I actually finished my image, saved it out as a PNG, then to double check, I made an HTML page with admedia's actual PNG next to my PNG...and the colors were off. In photoshop, the colors were perfect...but once i saved it, it changed. So i kept adjusting the color, saving it, then refreshing the HTML page until it was right. Pain in the butt, but it came out right.

Thanks for commenting on everyones work, GG...
    I know its a lot of effort; much appriciated.

noise, I meant some constructive crit on the volleys themselves, not the transitions which nobody could predict or control. I think it's pretty obvious where the color mis-matches appear, but people want to know what aspects they can change and improve with their next works.
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

oh hell... I didn't know this was finished.

let me quickly state that nords and onine are probably my favorite two images of the bunch... nords you're surprising me more and more.

EVP, dude. holy damn. that's one sick ass image... I want that as a desktop. NOW!

creativeinsomnia... thanks for an easy transition. I did your image, another image for the March Madness, and a rush job image for a client in the same night. Cool thing, I actually finally like an image I ever did... and it was lead off from your image... which I definitely loved dude.

the women... natsia, carly and ghostgirl. plain and simple... you guys rock... more illustrated than the rest of the blokes in the Arena... and done so very damn well.

ctranter... dude. you're just mindblowing. I easily think you're the tops in the Arena right now, bar none.

DaVulf... besides Lefteyewilly, I have to say you're the most improved dude in the Arena. Your placement of text and usage of whitespace is still a bit off - I find myself wanting to move your text around ever so little - but you're pulling it in.

Rushvision... simply put... stay in the Arena... you're an awesome artist in the 3D world, now let's see more of that Rush style in the Photoshop sector too.

Noise... you pulled out an image out of your arse on this one... would have loved a better transition - I can only view the HTML version, which according to some has some "problems" - but that image is more something I'd never expect out of you, but it's done so well. Keep up with the balanced style dude... quirky color shifts can only take you so far... you got a good eye. Use it more often.

If I forgot to list you in here... so sorry. I'm still traveling but had to quickly say a few words when I found out this was finished... and I was sober enough to type in a coherent manner.

TheWaste... awesome collection, good job on keeping us in line... sometimes you did let the list get a bit wonky though. 'Tis ok though... even the best laid plans have places where they might falter.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I can't argue, but in my own defence, I was amazingly busy... precides, you guys held me at gunpoint to host this asap, so hosting gonna happen reguardless; smoothly or not.

Relax. I know I coulda said no... but I can't let the team down

next time I host, i'll try make sure I got enough spare time to take care of the list etc...

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    DaVulf... besides Lefteyewilly, I have to say you're the most improved dude in the Arena. Your placement of text and usage of whitespace is still a bit off - I find myself wanting to move your text around ever so little - but you're pulling it in.
    Thanks Gerbs, I really appreciate it man .

I can't argue, but in my own defence, I was amazingly busy... precides, you guys held me at gunpoint to host this asap, so hosting gonna happen reguardless; smoothly or not.

Relax. I know I coulda said no... but I can't let the team down

next time I host, i'll try make sure I got enough spare time to take care of the list etc...

Thanks all

We need another rollCanvas. Um, now.

i think the calendar competition should come before another rollcanvas. It's already october, and by the time everything is organized and completed, December would probably be a good completion date for its launch. That is if we are doing a calendar again.

*Zzzzzzzzz*

wha? what! Hmm eh? RollCanvas..... Calendar......
    *rubs eyes*

i def would like to see a calendar for this year. i can assume the rules would be the same so people could start making images now.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

ooh...ohhh....id like to do a roll canvas!

Caaaalleeeennndddaaaaaarrrr :zombiefied:

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    yah!
    Calender...I might try entering this year...

Anyone got ideas of when it'll kick off?