A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gadget Fever '06

Gadget Fever '06

Usually strikes me this time of year.

Last year it was the LaCie drive, before that the Vaio laptop, before that the iPod.

I gots the itch, this year's nominees:

1. MacBook Pro or Mac Mini - I already had a Mini I returned, but my itch to learn Unix and see what tricks I can make it do is back. I don't really need another machine, just curious. Cons: The Mini is kind of weak, a laptop for everyday use probably isn't the best for me, considering I have one already.
    2. Big-ass monitor/TV in one - I've had my desk in my bedroom for a year, and will have it there for at least 8 more months. I hate it, but at least I can watch DVD's in bed. 19" of 4:3 is starting to feel awfully constraining these days too.
    3. Random box for Linux server - Development/backup server for home. I already have a 500Gb firewire drive, kind of a mistake when you have 2 machines, should've gotten an ethernet enabled one. So I'd have to offload it.

Any other ideas?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    ...should've gotten an ethernet enabled one...
    * cough *

Yeah yeah, rub it in.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

How much you selling that drive for? I'm interested.

and broke. so be kind.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I just got a Nokia 770 (Ars Technica review) a few days ago. It runs Linux, so if you want something "hackable", this could be an option.

I hate you, Gesteves.

Maybe a Mini + one of these would be a good file/development/audio server. Would XP have any problems using the Mac drive for a file server?

Just a quick question, i'm finally getting my minimac this week, will this plus a hard drive from a Windows PC work with the mac?

</hd n00b>

I'm so bored, I found WiFiTunes, and now am using my PDA to stream music wirelessly via my network and from iTunes on my Mac.

Robb, that HD will work just fine. You might have to reformat, or format half for NTFS for your windows machine, other half for your Mac machine. That's what I did with one external drive here, the other is purely Mac only.

The drive will work fine Robb, either do it Gerbizzles way two partitions, or PC format it, it will work fine on your mac.

If you go the otherway full format it for the MAC, then you can install a lovely little bit of software (that I've forgotten the name of) on your PC, which allows you to read MAC drives.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Maybe a Mini + one of these would be a good file/development/audio server.
    This one looks better

I just got bluetooth remote control. My nokia 6230 can control all aspects of my pc and even stream audio. You can even use it as a remote mouse, with a preview of the screen....

Sweet

Links needed!

I could do something similar with my SE t610... but not tried it with any later phones!

It is unbelievably cool. Tells you what songs playing on itunes, you can FF and all that jazz.

Most media players are supported and the best thing is you can just use the mouse pointer to use proggies that aren't.

Oh, and if you know VB, it's as simple as writing your own scripts and throwing it in.

$9.99 for unlimited clicks, otherwise you get D/C after awhile.

http://www.bluetoothshareware.com/

If you have an old TI graphing calculator laying around, you can turn it into a robot.

... or you can probably get a better robot (Sony Aibo) since Sony's not going to manufacture them anymore.

Better adopt one before Sony has to start putting them down...

... Old Yeller style.

imagination through stupidity
    you could buy a mac mini plus a big ass monitor for the cost of a macbook pro.

i'll sell you a 500mhz AMD K6-2 w/ 256mb(probably 512) ram to be used as a linux box. :P
    Nothing to see here, move along.

i just got a 20" dell cinema to go with my mini for $435 - it even rotates!!!!
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctListing.aspx

it does s-vid, vga and DVI.. oh and did i mention it rotates

i've dropped some ca$h on toys this month..

airport express (teh bomb for itunes - i have it hooked up to some speakers at the office and anyone can stream tunes to it.. even teh pc) it takes care of my wireless internet as well.

Linksys file server w/ a lacie 250GB HD.. great little unit.. amazingly small!
    http://www1.linksys.com/products/pro...id=640&scid=43
    i plan on getting another lacie drive in the next month or so. you can supposedly mirror them with the linksys so one will be a backup drive.

i'm saving for a macbook pro.. but i'm trying to hold out until i find out how reliable the rev a models are..