A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gay rights win in Warcraft world

Gay rights win in Warcraft world

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4700754.stm

i'm probably wrong about this but do we really need gay games?
    ferchrissakes when i play online games there is no mention of sexuality.
    i've got nothing against the gay community but wtf is going on?
    it seems not only have gay people "come out" but now they are invading our lives.
    jeez.
    is there going to be a day when we feel obligated to state our sexual preference to all and sundry?
    if you are gay or straight or have any sort of kink then keep it to yourselves!
    waits for flak..
    Last edited by darkstar; 02-13-2006 at 06:00 AM.

I agree.

sophisticated
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar
    if you are gay or straight or have any sort of kink then keep it to yourselves! waits for flak..
    what is wrong with you? they are keeping it to themselves - they don't **** in front of you, or do you except them to hide who they are too?

think of a gay person as of a blond person, or as of someone short or tall. they are just like you (yes, they are). it's just that they have different prefferences in bed. NOW WHY DA HELL SHOULD THEY HIDE? maybe then jews, blacks and everyone who's not as "chosen" as you should hide too?

geeesh, you darn nazis!

i'm not asking gays to hide, i'm asking gays to do what everybody else does -and that is keep your sexuality to yourself, unless it's important for future relationships, just like everybody else does.
    and less of the nazi tag you ******.
    get a life rather than a stance.

i resent the reference to it as a 'kink', but will assume you didn't mean that to be offensive.

i agree that sexuality shouldn't really be an issue when it comes to gaming. BUT i know nothing of this kind of gaming, so don't feel able to comment really...... does it have a social aspect to it? if it does, then i can see why people might want to be part of an LGBT friendly group, as they might in any other kind of social situation.

Blizzard was accused of being heavy-handed by threatening to expel a player for advertising a gay-friendly team or guild.
    Well thats not on...

I thought I'd add that Ms Andrews is a hottie

^yeah what he said^

didn't read the article properly before my original post

if you are gay or straight or have any sort of kink then keep it to yourselves!
    I don't think he was saying gay = kink... i think he was just listing various sexual preferences.... gay, straight, kinky...

anways it's hard to tell what really went on. this article is pretty vague. I went to 'the oz guild page'. Sounds ok to me... why not? As long as they aren't running around and fondeling dwarves or something, it's cool with me

carly,
    by kinks i did not mean gay. i meant people who perhaps enjoyed other sorts of sexual gratification.

when anyone tells me they are gay, i cant help but think of that person in a gay sexual position.
    it would be the same if anyone told me they were straight but of course that hardly ever happens.
    wierd maybe but nonetheless true.
    it appears to be something that gay people are desperate to reveal in a friendship, why i don't know.
    anyway, to come to the point, i am not interested in a persons sexual orientation, and i cant see any reason why i should be, unless i am attracted to them or them to me.

I think you missed the point darkstar. In those games, people talk to each other - sometimes by typing, sometimes with microphones etc. There are a lots of people out there (like half of flashkit and its moderators) who think that the words "gay" or "homosexual" are perfectly good insults. For that reason, i imagine, this person wants to recruit a group of players who aren't going to use words that they find offensive.

I dont think this person is advertising their sexuality to show off, just to try and avoid homophobes.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    I don't think he was saying gay = kink... i think he was just listing various sexual preferences.... gay, straight, kinky...
    HAHAHA *is filling out a form...* "Sexual preference... Hmmm... what to write... I know, Kinky!"

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Sounds ok to me... why not? As long as they aren't running around and fondeling dwarves or something, it's cool with me
    Hahahahaha You Dwarf fondler you!

Quote Originally Posted by onine
    I think you missed the point darkstar. In those games, people talk to each other - sometimes by typing, sometimes with microphones etc. There are a lots of people out there (like half of flashkit and its moderators) who think that the words "gay" or "homosexual" are perfectly good insults. For that reason, i imagine, this person wants to recruit a group of players who aren't going to use words that they find offensive.

I dont think this person is advertising their sexuality to show off, just to try and avoid homophobes.
    Wow... where did you get this weird idea from?

so being called gay or homosexual is percieved to be an insult if you are not gay or homosexual but ok if you are?

how precious.

i didnt read all of your posts i just wanted to put my 2 cents in the jar.

This is really a non-issue and i dont see how it still making the news. a girl said her guild was recruiting and that it was gay friendly. she was reported by someone for saying the word "gay" and blizzard decided that by annoucing that there were gay people in your guild it would open up the door for people in said guild to be harrassed.

the amount of time blizzard has spent arguing the matter, they could have been tracking down people that harrass other gamers because of their orientation be it in game or in real life.

essentially what blizzard is saying is they dont want gay people to annouce that they are queer and they are here, so get used to it, because that would open the door and point people of hate in the direction of said players.

blizzard should really just focus on the players causing the harrassment and less on the players trying to give gay players a place to play and socialize without sticking out like a sore thumb.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

so being called gay or homosexual is percieved to be an insult if you are not gay or homosexual but ok if you are?

how precious.
    That's not what i said - read it again. Anything said offensively can and will be perceived as offensive. Got that sunshine?

carly,
    by kinks i did not mean gay. i meant people who perhaps enjoyed other sorts of sexual gratification.
    yeah, ok maybe i worded that wrong, i meant that i had assumed you hadn't meant it that way- but when i initially read it i thought you were referring to homosexuality as a 'kink'. anyway....

did you mean 'sunshine' offensively there onine?

Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    did you mean 'sunshine' offensively there onine?
    Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    i didnt read all of your posts i just wanted to put my 2 cents in the jar.

This is really a non-issue and i dont see how it still making the news. a girl said her guild was recruiting and that it was gay friendly. she was reported by someone for saying the word "gay" and blizzard decided that by annoucing that there were gay people in your guild it would open up the door for people in said guild to be harrassed.

the amount of time blizzard has spent arguing the matter, they could have been tracking down people that harrass other gamers because of their orientation be it in game or in real life.

essentially what blizzard is saying is they dont want gay people to annouce that they are queer and they are here, so get used to it, because that would open the door and point people of hate in the direction of said players.

blizzard should really just focus on the players causing the harrassment and less on the players trying to give gay players a place to play and socialize without sticking out like a sore thumb.
    This. Basically just run on a don't ask, don't tell policy. If you don't open up any doors for attack, then you won't be attacked.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Oh dear, Darkstar you poor soul.

I have so much to say but I just dont think it will make any difference, whether it was your upbringing, or maybe some kind of defect - I don't know, I'm not here to judge

But dude.....you just....don't.....get it?

And if I try and explain it, it wont change your mind because you..........don't get it.