A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Diplomat Design Site Check

Diplomat Design Site Check

Hello community.

I have recently worked on an updated version of a companies site and would appreciate any feedback on the following topics.

• Design of the site, aesthetics and usability.

• technical problems, bits of the site that don't work, or error messages.

here it is http://www.diplomatdesign.com

I have had a reported problem when viewing the site on a PC, although I cant recreate the problem I am hoping someone may be able to tell me what I have done wrong, if anything. (sorry it's a bit long, but I wanted to include as much info as possible).

-------------------------------------
    Start of quote

"Works fine in Firefox 1.5 (bar the logical problem I'll mention below). In IE 6 it gives an error:

'A Runtime Error has occurred, Do you wish to debug?
    Line 36: 'NS_ActualOpen' is undefined'

[I have Visual Studio installed for programming or it probably wouldn't offer me the Debug option]

I've done it twice to make sure it wasn't a one-off glitch - it IS Microsoft after all!

After clearing the error message the site does actually work though.

As for the logic problem: On the Product and Furniture links;

If you select a particualr item, say Ingelsina or Bart Design, then click the Info link, you cannot then go back to take a look at the picture of the same item without first going to another one. So you can't for example look at the Inglesina picture, then view the Info, and then think 'I'll have another look at the pictures' without clicking on another item first."

end of quote.
    ----------------------------

Thanks for anyone who posts a reply, I would appreciate that you list the spec of the machine your viewing the site on.

Nice site!

I found a few issues in your code.
    First, there's a curly bracket here between these tags you need to delete:
    Code:
    </HEAD>

}

<body
    Second, there are <script> tags inappropriately located between your closing body and html tags. Relocate that script stuff (if you need this code) within the <head> tags.
    Code:
    </body><script> window.open=NS_ActualOpen; </script>

</html>
    Is the blur transition a new Flash built-in effect? If so, which Flash version? I like it.

Navigation/ Usability: It seemed pretty simple to navigate and that compliments the nice designs that Diplomat showcases. The subnavigation was not obvious at first (the 1,2,3 for more photos of items) so perhaps that needs to be called out more with a transition effect or someother way.

Hey Joost.

Thanks for the feedback, especlally the html check. Will change the html parts now.

The transition is simply three images over the top of each, 1 sharp image, 1 with a 1.5 gaussion blur, and one with a 3 pt gaussion blur, then fade out the blurred images until only the crisp image is viewable.

Keep em coming people.

Thanks

-_-
    Is the blur transition a new Flash built-in effect? If so, which Flash version? I like it.
    Acttually, the transistion is filter in flash 8.

Wow. Really?

Am running Flash Mx so don't have that effect, could have saved me a lot of time and patience.

Nice one.

i like the look of the site. i especially like how you used the icons when loading.

i do have an idea, what if you removed the box shape from around the furniture and product icons in the navigation down at the bottom. I understand you have a rounded corner theme throughout the site but I think it would look really nice if there was just a small row of chairs down at the bottom, same with the products. I don't know...just a thought.

overall it's a very nice site, clean and slick.
    good job.
    jo
    the higher the climb, the better the view.

www.jofolio.com

Thanks everyone.

I like your idea jo, so I will save it for the end and show it to the client, if they like it also then I will look into changing it.

Has anyone had any problems viewing the site?

Thanks again, keep em coming.

-_-
    Wow. Really?

Am running Flash Mx so don't have that effect, could have saved me a lot of time and patience.

Nice one.
    Yep. Its a Flash 8 filter.