A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rules: Digital Photos and Flash?

Rules: Digital Photos and Flash?

I'm going to be taking photos with my Canon Rebel XT. I am going to make the all pretty and nice then bring them into flash.

What are the rules of getting the best out of the photos? Should I do all color correction in 300 DPI then export them as 72? Does it matter? I heard in Windows XP I should actually save them as 120, I believe.

Can anyone give me the rules to follow on this?

Thanks

Nikonist
    If you are going to export 300 dpi into flash you are getting big flash files with long loading times I guess.
    Print media for instance requires 200 dpi or bigger and they are gong for best quality. This level of quality is not necessary for what you are planning to do.
    72 dpi should be sufficient for your purpose
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Quote Originally Posted by frex
    If you are going to export 300 dpi into flash you are getting big flash files with long loading times I guess.
    Print media for instance requires 200 dpi or bigger and they are gong for best quality. This level of quality is not necessary for what you are planning to do.
    72 dpi should be sufficient for your purpose
    Thanks. But what I am asking, is, can I still edit the photos in 72 dpi? I always thought I was to edit in 300 dpi and then export them as 72 dpi. I guess I was wrong.

Nikonist
    I might have got something wrong here...now I realize you are talking of editing them in your flash program...blush!
    Think someone else has to give you better advice than I can
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

with whatever medium your using, you'll want to use the bigger file to edit, and then scale down. So, start with your 300DPI and then when your done editing it, save a 2nd version as 72dpi for web connection speeds. But if you only have a 72dpi image that you're editing, you should be fine.

Doesn't DPI concern printing only? i.e. the number of pixels that will be used per inch on paper

If you edit your full size image so that you can get in close to all the areas if need be and then just scale it down to the correct pixel dimensions is that no OK?

Please someone correct me if I'm really missing the point with what happens.

Design & Photography

Quote Originally Posted by a_slosh
    Doesn't DPI concern printing only? i.e. the number of pixels that will be used per inch on paper
    DPI, although still commonly used is a little depractiated and the term PPI = Pixels Per Inch is what we are referring to I believe. The number of actual pixels in an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by a_slosh
    If you edit your full size image so that you can get in close to all the areas if need be and then just scale it down to the correct pixel dimensions is that no OK?

Please someone correct me if I'm really missing the point with what happens.
    When doing things purely for the web it's best not to worry so much about measurements in terms of inches. Get familiar with working in pixel dimensions like 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, etc....

I would do all of my correcting and comps at the highest possible resolution with any photo. That way if you ever need to repurpose your work for print, you have high-res materials at your disposal.

admedia I thought DPI and PPI had become synonomous. Your second point is what I was trying to say.

Design & Photography

anymore than 72 dpi is a waste for monitor use.

Do all conversions in photoshop as it can handle the pixel crunching alot better than transforming in flash.

Generally when you are downsizing, you'll need to add some unsharp masking. Somewhere between 25-50% at 1 pixel radius.