A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Managing Projects

Managing Projects

How are you tracking projects?

Currently I am keeping track of all my projects in a Word document and I'm not entirely happy about it. It's a bit messy, but because my company has only been in operation for less than a year, its still legible (at least I can somewhat understand it). There has to be some type of software out there that helps track/manage projects. Suggestions?

I'm also not too happy with my document numbering. I send a work order/proposal and give it a number, for example, 000123. Then when I send out an invoice for partial payment of the project, I would number the invoice as 000123-01. And I would continue number documents in that fashion for that particular project. Would it just be better to give each document its own number? So for this example, the invoice would be 000124.

I use www.sidejobtrack.com It's free and easy for what I need, which isn't a lot. It can send out invoices and track budgets and all that jazz.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    I second sidejobtrack. If that's not enough/you want more support, then the paid service http://basecamphq.com/ is probably the next best bet.

I've always used Quickbooks. The time and job tracking features work really well for me, and I can dump all of my data right into TuboTax when it's time to file my quarterlies and end of year return.

Invoices are tracked by both job and client, and you can set up billing terms, standard rates, and other invoice options on a per-client basis. The reporting features are really robust as well.