A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opening pdf files on top of interface

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode View Post
    If you open a browser and type topmost Mozilla Firefox at the command line, does that make Firefox the topmost window for you?
    I'm not sure what you mean. What command line?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    From the C:> (command) prompt.

From the C:> (command) prompt.
    That's what I thought you meant. I opened the c prompt window, put "topmost Mozilla Firefox" in there and it came back ""topmost" is not recognized as an internal command operable program or batch file"...

It seems like something simple is not being done right here.

OK< so right now, I have a copy of my CD with all of its sub folders and everything stored on a remote drive. In the main directory, is the projector file.
    In the fscommand folder, is topmost.exe, browser.exe, and browser.bat

You have to have topmost.exe in the path or be in the correct folder to execute it. So you can copy it to where the DOS prompt puts you or CD (change directory command) to the a folder where you have a copy and try it. You could also just try running browser.bat (or browser.exe) directly by double clicking on it after manually opening a browser.

Question

You have to have topmost.exe in the path or be in the correct folder to execute it. So you can copy it to where the DOS prompt puts you or CD (change directory command) to the a folder where you have a copy and try it. You could also just try running browser.bat (or browser.exe) directly by double clicking on it after manually opening a browser.

OK, I tried clicking on browser.exe and browser.bat. That didn't do anything.

Then, I tried opening topmost from the command prompt, and that worked. My web browser was on top of everything and stayed that way.

Maybe something is wrong with browser.exe?

OK, I tried clicking on browser.exe and browser.bat. That didn't do anything
    That's not cool. Is topmost.exe in the same folder as browser.exe and browser.bat? Running the BAT file by itself should at least open a command prompt window. Can you modify the BAT file to look like this (below) and see what happens when you run it. The command prompt window should stay open (because of the pause) so you can see if there was an error or not.

Code:
    set repeat=x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 
    for %%i in (%repeat%) do call topmost Internet Explorer
    for %%i in (%repeat%) do call topmost Mozilla Firefox
    pause

OK, I tried your modified code for the browser.bat. It made the cmd.exe stay visible and I saw it run through a bunch of code and stay on the screen while my browser was set to topmost and stayed there no matter what I clicked on.

That was just like when I tested the topmost.exe file yesterday, it seems to work too.

BUT If I try to call this browser.exe file from a button in my projector, nothing happens.

I tried activating it from your demo web.exe and my own projector file too. The web pages open, but seem to be ignoring the browser.exe and topmost.exe commands.

I'm currently using this on my buttons:

Code:
    on (release) {
    getURL("http://www.nemapower.com");
    fscommand("exec", "browser.exe");
    }

If you try running browser.bat (the modified version) instead of the EXE do you see the code in the BAT file being executed?

Code:
    on (release) {
       fscommand("exec", "browser.bat");
    }

this might fix it?!

I'm not sure why, but calling the bat file directly seems to make it work better.

the browser has still gone behind the projector sometimes, but it is much more reliable and consistant...

I'LL LET YOU KNOW!

OK, after more testing, it seems to work as intended just fine without the browser.exe file. Of course, without that file, the ugly black windows keep popping up!
    Last edited by Graz73; 09-18-2009 at 04:22 PM.

That sounds like a timing issue where the browser.exe/.bat finishes before Mozilla gets started. I think we might solve this by delaying the start of the EXE command just a bit, like this...

Code:
    on (release) {
       setTimeout(function() { fscommand("exec", "browser.exe"); }, 500);
    }
    That should delay the launch of browser.exe until Mozilla has started.

That sounds like a timing issue where the browser.exe/.bat finishes before Mozilla gets started. I think we might solve this by delaying the start of the EXE command just a bit, like this...

Code:
    on (release) {
       setTimeout(function() { fscommand("exec", "browser.exe"); }, 500);
    }
    That should delay the launch of browser.exe until Mozilla has started.
    It doesn't seem like that helped. When Firefox already has a window open, it does not bring it to the front at all. When there was no firefox window open, it worked a little bit. I tried this program on another computer with IE as the default browser, and the windows popped to the front perfectly! So... there must be some issue with firefox?

Any more ideas? I'm still stuck on this. (Thanks for all the help narrowing this down...)
    Last edited by Graz73; 09-25-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: update

Any more ideas? I'm still stuck on this. (Thanks for all the help narrowing this down...)

Can you get some video of what's happening to show me? Check out http://camstudio.org/ for some free screen recording software.