A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annoying skin problem

Yeah I am mainly haveing trouble with the nose. I tried doing the top and bottom in flash and then putting them together but it dosent work to well. I have photo shop CS2 but I am most familiar with flash.

Here is the newest (just needs that nose)
    Last edited by BlackCow237; 02-22-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

Alright, I think this is what you want to know. Let me know if I'm wrong.

To create the blue shape use the Rectangle Tool and while dragging (don't let go of the mouse button), hold down the down arrow key until the corners of the box are completely rounded. Get yourself a nice pill shape then let go of the mouse button. If you haven't already, fill it with a transparent color then hit Ctrl+G to Group it. This will keep the stipple that is visible when you select a normal shape from getting in the way of your transparency for the next step. Then use the Free Transform Tool (Q) to distort the shape so it gives you the curve you want on the bottom. Copy and paste this shape over a rectangle you create on the bottom and then delete it to cut out that curve.

Is that what you were asking for?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I just saw that image you posted, but the nose is so dark I still can't tell if you are having modeling or texturing problems.

If what I just gave you isn't what you needed, then please be clearer in describing exactly where you are having a problem. Do you need help with creating the texture or with the modeling of the nose?
    mrush

The texture isent the problem its modeling the nose. I just have a dark circle where I want the nose to be. I made an attempt at createing one but as you can see below its not comeing out quite right...

How could I get rid of the parts that are sticking out?
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

You could delete the upper half, select and then Mirror>Duplicate the opposite faces on the lower half as shown below. When your done, Smarweld the vertices.

And just for future reference you might find it quicker and easier to make the whole thing from the beginning out of a single cylinder as I did when I made my example. You can see the reference image I used below and I just scaled and nudged the vertices until they matched the profile in the reference image. (In this case a DC-3 since I couldn't tell exactly which plane you were making and this looked close enough for an example.)

mrush

Wait im confused, if you delet that and duplicate the bottom it just makes a complete cylinder. How do you get it to be the shape where the wind sheild is on top and then not on the bottom. I dont know how to quite explane it.

Edit: I just tried it and it realy dosent come out right. It just looks like a cone. If I try to make a slope thing for the wind sheild I get little things sticking out!
    Last edited by BlackCow237; 02-23-2006 at 01:30 AM.

Get your nose displayed in the right or left viewport in the AM then hit 'S' to activate the Scale Tool then go to the General page and set the Nudge Increment to 1. Select each vertical column of vertices and scale/nudge (with arrow keys) them until they match the shape you want for the nose. Optionally you can switch between the Scale Tool and the Move Tool by alternately hitting 'M' or 'S'. I just find it easier to keep one tool active and my other hand on the arrow keys. All personal preference. Just make sure you have it set to scale from the center of the selection. It's really quite easy...took me like five minutes to create that fuselage from a single cylinder.

If you are still confused, please take the time to very clearly explain what you still don't understand.
    Last edited by RUSHVision; 02-23-2006 at 01:35 AM.
    mrush

I realy dont understand. The Scale tool just makes the friggen thing wicked big or wicked small. I cant select the "vertical columns" and when i try to and try to nudge it with the arrow keys it moves the enitre object. And whats the move tool for? I might add that ive never done any advanced modleing with the advanced modler

Alright dude, time to buck up and read the manual.

I want you to come back here and tell me how you change from editing faces or groups to editing vertices and we'll pick up where we left off.

If you can't do at least that much to help yourself, then I wish you all the best in finding another instructor (which is what I've turned into in this thread) who is both as patient and knowledgable with this program as I am. I'm here for ya dude, but you've got to meet me more than halfway. It's your skill with the program that is at stake here, not mine. I'm not saying this to blow my own horn, I say it to stress the importance of taking responsibility for your own learning.

I love helping people. It's both what I do and why I do it all in one. And believe it or not, that's what I'm doing, here. I can probably answer just about any question you've got concerning Swift3D (ok, there might be one or two things I don't know, lol), but that's my knowledge. Why? Because I earned it by spending time with the program and on these boards gathering wisdom from my fellow Swifters, who are an absolutely amazing group of people. I want you to have the same thing...your very own mastery of Swift3D. Before we can really help you unleash all the latent coolness that lies dormant within Swift3D though, you absolutely must have a solid handle on the basic operation of the program.

Fortunately you are luck because Swift3D has one of the easiest to read manuals that I've ever seen. Get yourself a good dose of whatever makes you happy and crack that puppy open. If you need clarification or explanation of specific functions then I guarantee you I will be here to clear things up for you. I just don't want to end up re-writing the manual one post at a time. I'm sure you can understand that.

Peace, brother...
    mrush

here's an approach from scratch. it will model the entire fuselage.
    first create a cigar shape in the lather editor. i recommend setting your segmentation to 16 coz it can get quite picky with a larger segmentation.
    (click the image for a larger view)

then go into the am and in the left viewport select all the verticies to the right of the center (don't select the center line) of the object and below where the snub (??) nose would be. as i have in the first figure in the sequence below.
    then select scale (z axis) and set the orientation to ORIGIN in the scale panel and scale the verticies.
    then scale back down those verticies at the collar of the nose (again using orient to ORIGIN and z axis) so you get a nice curve.

this should produce a fuselage like the one your lookin for;
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

That's a beautiful thing Blink, but I think the Cowmeister needs a few riding lessons before he can gallop on that horse.

And don't anyone go telling him how to select verts! (I'm doing this because I care, not because I don't!)
    mrush

I just thought I would let you know I'm still here for you. Any progress on finding out how to select vertices in the AM?
    mrush