A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arena Tips & Techniques

Arena Tips & Techniques

Ok, so this particular image got is hairy tail whooped in the tournament, but I thought some of the people who were newer to the arena might still benefit from seeing other people's techniques. The following is more of a general overview than a specific tut, but it will give you a good idea of the basic process. Other people should feel free to post their own.

Questions, comments and critiques all welcome.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Great tutorial Rush. It's amazing to see the effort that goes into these images. Although you didn't get my vote, seeing how you put this together may have swayed my opinions.

Edit: Now that I look at it again, I think the typographical arrangement at the top of the tutorial for 'Unleash the Beast' would have been the way to go in the image.
    Last edited by DaVulf; 03-07-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Honestly the only reason I didn't vote for your image was due to the font choice. Other than that awsome. It was the flip for you oponent. I felt the design lacked slightly but the font choice pulled it back together. Great tutorial and wonderful job.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

I have to agree. Amazing job Rush, I had no idea you put that much work into the image...i think it all fell down to font choice/layout. Awesome tutorial too.

Thanks guys...something to keep in mind for the next one. I appreciate all the feedback!

And don't worry, I can take it as well as I can give it, so don't think I'm going to get all whiney because you tell me you didn't like it. I honesty appreciate you guys taking the time to give me something real I can work with. Thanks!
    mrush

Once again, excellent tutorial, good attention to detail

Should no doubt inspire some people to battle in the arena, also good to show others how you put several images together, to create something quite different.

well done
    bp

Advance Motion Management
    Once again, really appericiated. Just Kool....//

--
    Vini
    Its in my Blood, B+

Here's another one for ya.

Dodge & Burn: A 2D Artist's 3D Primer

It was marvelled at recently on the forums that a hole in an object could be created where once there was none. Much of this simply has to do with the depiction of 3D space or depth, and all that is comprised of is light and shade. When you apply a Bevel Layer Style to an object all it's doing is overlaying a light color over the parts of the image that would receive highlights and a dark color over the parts that would be in shadow. You can do this yourself...far better...with the Dodge and Burn Tools, but in this case what you are doing is either lightening or darkening the pixels that are already present in the image.

To start out, let's take a look at this simple example. The circle in the corner on the bottom is solid red. The circles that go up to the left have been successively Burned and Dodged to create a shaded sphere. The circles to the right show spheres that were created using the Gradient Tool. That ugly thing just above the first circle is the same solid circle with a Bevel Layer Style applied to it. This is here only to serve as an example of how much better the other methods work for achieving realistic shading. There is a time and place for each of the techniques shown below. Even the Bevel Layer Style has it's uses, but using it for creating a sphere is not something I would recommend.

Ok, so that's all well and good, but you're saying to yourself "That's neat, but I've seen red balls before. What's the big deal?". Part of what I want to convey is that 3D form is just light and shade. You can take something that is flat and give it depth and form simply by lightening and/or darkening certain parts of the shape. The other part is to show you that there are different ways to go about creating that depth and there are different ways to think about the tools you have at your disposal.

You can use the Gradient Tool, but not only will this give your work a more 'mechanical' appearance, it's not nearly as flexible as the brush-based tools. You can see with the gradient spheres on the right that using successively more colors will give you a more detailed and shiny sphere, but this technique will be mostly useless on a more complex form.

So that's a simple example of what you can do with the Burn and Dodge Tools. Let's move on to an example that will be more relevant to what you might be doing for an image in an arena battle. This one shows how you can use the Dodge and Burn Tools to re-shade pixels in order to restructure their dimensionality. We're going to add a recessed window and aside from the copying and pasting of the window itself, this entire operation will largely be accomplished with by just burning and dodging the existing pixels. Let's get to it, then...

mrush

Wow, that is comprehensive. Not only does it completely articulate how to do that type of thing, it really is useful. I will most definately use that in the future .

Great work as always Rush, you truly are an asset to the forum.

Thanks, DaVulf.
    mrush

thats a great technique, thanks for sharing.

but i heard the new photoshop already has a perspective tool that can just copy and move the window along the correct perspective already!? I havent touch PS for a looong while....

I couldn't say...I'm using PS7. How does it go about determining the correct perspective? Does it just scan for concurrent lines and make a guess or do you have to set it up yourself?
    mrush

I'm using CS2 and I've never heard of that. Sure would be nice though.

CS2 does have this capability. It's clunky and hard to work with though. I've only messed with it a few times, but with no success.

Still a newbie at heart
    This is amazing stuff, i've never been able to quite get the jist of photoshop like this but tutorials like these break it down in a very logical way.

Where could i find more?
    Last edited by Pure_5aban; 03-13-2006 at 01:01 PM.

I am working on collecting tuts from the great people here at FK. Rush has graciously donated some and I've put a bit in and hopefully there will be a great deal more soon (when some of the guys get there butts into gear). But you can check it out here:
    http://www.jwinmedia.com/forum

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Still a newbie at heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure_5aban
    This is amazing stuff, i've never been able to quite get the jist of photoshop like this but tutorials like these break it down in a very logical way.

Where could i find more?
    DUH.... i've just noticed the sticky at the TOP of the board. excuse my blonde moment... its been a long day

its called vanishing point and basically u create a perspective plane(s) by selecting 4 perspective points. then use the clone stamp to clone the area.

like this, i think
    Last edited by Jujumon; 01-28-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Cool, thanks for the info.

From the looks of it though, I think I'd probably continue to do it my way even if I had that tool at my disposal. That grid looks cool and it makes you think something good is about to happen, but that cloned result looks like it would need a fair bit of cleanup before you could use it. And for some reason the perspective doesn't look quite right, either...maybe it's just me. So yeah, neat tool, but I think it might need some refinement before it's ready to take on every perspective-related task.
    mrush

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHVision
    Cool, thanks for the info.

From the looks of it though, I think I'd probably continue to do it my way even if I had that tool at my disposal. That grid looks cool and it makes you think something good is about to happen, but that cloned result looks like it would need a fair bit of cleanup before you could use it. And for some reason the perspective doesn't look quite right, either...maybe it's just me. So yeah, neat tool, but I think it might need some refinement before it's ready to take on every perspective-related task.
    Exactly...it's not perfect yet....maybe CS3