A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pop up audio player silencing page player

pop up audio player silencing page player

I recently added a pop up player to my site, which pops up the audio player in a new window if you care to listen while navigating other pages (or want to listen without having the songs start over each time you change a page, because i'm working primarily html, and only using a flash player, so each time you load a new page it starts over). What i'm wondering is if there is some kind of global function that will have the media player on the page check if the pop up player is playing, and if it is, then not to start the audio. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but basically i want one audio player to be playing at a time, so you don't have songs clashing against each other.
    "And it will fall, hopefully on you."

Hi,

What other player? If your using a pop up player in a new window, what other media player does it conflict with? If the other player is a flash movie, you could use the localConnection method to communicate between the movies and tell one to only play if the other is not. If the media player is something like windows media player or realplayer, you wont have control over those from a flash movie. You could probably write a javascript or vbscript function to communicate between the flash movie and the HTML page containing the media player that would be able to turn it on and off.

sorry i realize i worded that bad. On my website, i have a media player embedded, its flash, but it also has the option of a pop up player, which opens the same player in a new window. Now, that's fine, because i make the sounds stop when you click to launch the pop up player, however if you change pages on my site, then the embedded player starts back up again, conflicting with the player opened in a new window. is that clearer?

bump?

Hi,

You could use a boolean variable to determine which player is supposed to be playing....

myPopUp=false;

Then from the button you launch the pop up player from.....

myButton.onRelease=function(){
    myPopUp=true;
    }

Then for the player embeded in the flash movie.......
    code:

this.onEnterFrame=function(){
    if(myPopUp){
    //depending on how you have the player set up.
    mySound.stop();
    or maybe...
    _root.playerMC.gotoAndStop("off");
    }
    }

thank you, sounds good, i'll give it a go.

ok well, no luck. i think the problem is that everytime i change pages, the player reloads, and thus voids whatever was before. However, i didn't go into the _root thing much, but i'm not sure it would have helped. It needs to like go out and check if the player is open before it loads the songs....

guitarcorey... did you ever find a solution to the audio player embedded in your html file reloading when the user clicks around? I'm trying to do the same thing. The player has to be in html so I want the audio to play from somewhere else. Any advice?