A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Optimaze?

Optimaze?

Hi - sorry if this is in the wron forum

I was wondering if anybody knew much about the optimaze programme?

http://www.erain.com/products/optimaze/default.asp

I have an animation that is running very slow due to complexity of vector graphics animation (some of which uses very details line drawings) and was wondering if using optimaze on it would speed things up?

The text on their website only seems to mention file size

thanks alot for your advice

Senior Moderator
    Hi there, are you using Flash 8 by any chance? If so, i highly recommend that you take a look at Bitmap Caching, this can and most proabably will increase rendering performance ten fold on complex vector graphics.

If not, then you may want to consider converting some of the vectors into bitmaps, flattening them so to speak, as that gives the player less to render.

unfortunately not using flash 8 (sorry about wrong forum)

I think the bmap option may have to be the option

thanks a lot for your advice!

Optimaze is a compression tool, which unlike the Flash player, attempts to compress each piece of asset separately, thereby giving you a smaller filesize.

When you publish a flash movie, jpg quality settings is usually at 80%. meaning 20% compreesion. This works for all graphics in the movie.

With optimaze, you get to choose the amount of compression for each asset. So if you want the company logo to be clearer, leave it at 100%, want to increase compression for an small bitmap? No problem.

Optimaze works with compression. Not sure if this would affect performance... though probably, since a smaller file is being loaded... but not quite sure about that.
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

mmmm.... i dont know what optimaze does differently from flash - different algorythms maybe.

You do have the option for individual optimisation in flash - in the library you can set individual bmap compression and you can optimize each item as you want it.

After playing with optimaze at work it seems the main difference is that you can see things in real time.

i guess with most things its trial and error and suck it and see