A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Embedding Flash into a VRML File - Impossible Challenge?

Embedding Flash into a VRML File - Impossible Challenge?

I have been told on many occasions that it is impossible to embed a flash file… (.swf) into a VRML (.wrl) file. But, within our 3D community we have met and conquered many challenges we have previously been told were impossible. So when I am told, it is impossible to embed flash within a VRML file, I just think to myself, “I have not yet met the genius who can master it.” It is currently possible to embed .gif, .jpg, png files within a .wrl file. And it is even possible to play movie and sound files .avi, .mpg, mpeg, .mov, and others within a .wrl file/place. So why should flash be any different? I don’t know the answer to this. The person who solves this will be the first person (world wide) ever in history to do it. But, I do believe there exists the one person, the one genius, the one code brain out there who can solve this problem … because there is no such thing as impossible. I am calling for the one. Are you there?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    A google search for "embed swf in wrl files" returned many results. Seems that wheel has already been invented.

Thanks for your comment, Chris. But, unfortunately even though there are numerous hits on the subject of embedding .swf files within .wrl, non of them really address this question. Most of them will tell you how to embed a .swf file or how to embed a .wrl file within an html file. Yes, some time back, there were rumors that Parallel Graphics had met and conquered this challenge. But, in realty what they accomplished was to embed flash in an html frame set that surrounded an .wrl file. This is simple and is done all the time. What no one seems to be able to do is to actually embed the .swf file within the .wrl file and have it play (or available for interaction) within the actual "3D world" itself. I have discussed this with the actual creators/founders of VRML and have been told that it is "theoretically possible". I have also spoken with the Macromedia folks and the developers of 3D player software who said the same. But, I have yet to find anyone who can actually do it. If you happen to know anyone who has done this or if you have a link to any site with an example of this, I would love to view it. I am ready to be knocked off my chair with amazement. In fact, I know about 30 world builders who would love to be blown away too.
    Last edited by badgirl; 02-25-2006 at 01:30 AM.

I don't have the answer, but I just have to say I loved the way you asked your question. Your ability to express yourself is worthy of at the very least notable mention, however I will do nothing less than give you flat-out high praise.

Best of luck in your quest for a solution to your problem.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Quote Originally Posted by badgirl
    It is currently possible to embed .gif, .jpg, png files within a .wrl file. And it is even possible to play movie and sound files .avi, .mpg, mpeg, .mov, and others within a .wrl file/place. So why should flash be any different?
    .swf is alot different than these other formats, one main difference being the interactivity of the flash file. As far as i know .wrl does not support this type of interaction. the only solution i could think of would be to create a hybrid Flash/VRML player.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by random25
    .swf is alot different than these other formats, one main difference being the interactivity of the flash file. As far as i know .wrl does not support this type of interaction. the only solution i could think of would be to create a hybrid Flash/VRML player.
    It seems you are right. I followed Chris's notes and wrote Parallel Graphics again... a stronger letter this time so they would not give me the brush off... I finally got a note from them explaining they HAD INDEED gotten an .swf to work in .wrl... but they only way they were able to do it was to modify their Cortona 3D software to do just what you said... become a hybrid flash/vrml player. They tried to sell this to me but unfortunately we must use another server side software and player to support our 3D community. Oh well, it looks like this one may be a lost cause. I hate feeling that something may indeed be "impossible". I do so hate that word! But, maybe if I put it on the shelf for a while and come back to it later on... someone out there will come up with a way to make the impossible possible. Until then I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks very much for responding to my post. :-)

PS... I swear I am not spamming or anything. But, since you were all so kind in posting to me... if you (who posted) would like free access to my community please inbox me and I will make it happen for you. It is the only thing I have so I thought I would offer it to you.
    Last edited by badgirl; 03-01-2006 at 02:44 AM.

But, since you were all so kind in posting to me... if you (who posted) would like free access to my community please inbox me and I will make it happen for you. It is the only thing I have so I thought I would offer it to you.
    I may have to take you up on that, i love 3d stuff, some of my 3d work can be seen here
    Last edited by random25; 03-01-2006 at 03:35 AM.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Lots of cool stuff there, random. What did you use to make/render those?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Quote Originally Posted by random25
    ... love 3d stuff, some of my 3d work can be seen here
    Random! You are very talented! Fantastic work... really wonderful. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHVision
    Lots of cool stuff there, random. What did you use to make/render those?
    Thanks, I use C4D mostly.

Random! You are very talented! Fantastic work... really wonderful. :-)
    Thanks