A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Where to learn action script complete

Where to learn action script complete

Went to books A million last night. Found many flash Action script directories --- thousands of snippets...

I have no idea, what supports it....

Where do I learn Action script? From the basics to the complex ...
    I would really like to get this underway now....

ODC...
    Much to learn.... Much to learn....

this book got me started

Everyone will have their own prefered book which gave them a grounding in actionscript but for me, the book which started it all and made the most sense was:

Macromedia Flash MX ActionScripting: Advanced Training from the Source
    by Derek Franklin, Jobe Makar

from there I went on to Colin Moock's book.

Whatever book you choose, make sure you actually do the exercises. I'm guilty of buying quite a few flash books and just stared at them hoping it would make sense. It never did.

Anyways good luck!

OK... I will go look see at the book store... Action scripting is very powerful... I am a global learner... which means for me..I try to conceptualize the whole pie then learn how to bake it... Concepts like scripting languages, I have to set my goals on instances of the big picture, and learn those.... There are some things I need to learn in AS right away. It is a matter of locating them in the thousands of scripts that are available...and of course baking them...

THX
    ODC
    This resembles me very closely, aside the cool smile...

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odisey
    I try to conceptualize the whole pie then learn how to bake it...
    That is a really good proverb....

How I learned actionscript is with other's scripts and Flash help, and with aid from my Video Graphic Applications teacher, not from a book (For me, I learn from experience, not memorization). The first thing I began to realize, and might be helpful, is say what you want to do out loud; the Actionscript will follow exactly what you say, almost to a point. Once you learn what you want to learn from

Macromedia Flash MX ActionScripting: Advanced Training from the Source
    by Derek Franklin, Jobe Makar

(Do I smell a little plug, plug, plug? )

Then say it outloud, or think it if you're at work or something, and type it with the Actionscript equivalent. Also, don't be afraid to type in the Flash help, there were somethings that I never knew existed before I searched for... say... setIntervals (this executes a code after a set amount of time, and continues to repeat it at that set time). Flash help also has a lot of the basics laid out for you in quick tutorials if you forgot something, but need to look it up fast, or remember how to code something.

I try to conceptualize the whole pie then learn how to bake it...
    Eh?

I learned actionscript with no book , I learnt everything off flashkit and other sites. To be honest, With all the tutorial sites out there on the web you have no real need to buy a book. Since I have not bought any books however, my opinion is probably useless

Hi,

There are often quirks, tricks, tips, and overall general code practice elements in books that you may have difficulty discovering on your own. Other than that, there really is no better method than time and practice. Hands on will teach you more than reading it in a book. The help files that come with flash are invaluable for learning new methods. They include a method description and usually a short code sample of how to employ the method.

With that said, I am a fan of the Derek Franklin and Jobe Makar book. Very good for beginner to intermediate. The Colin Moock book is also very good. One other worth mentioning that I like is..... "The Actionscript Bible"..... by Robert Reinhardt and Joey Lott. It covers basic actionscript to advanced includeing xml,php, and coldfusion examples.

Regards
    NTD

Knows where you live
    Like Corky, I did not use any books. Unlike him however, I did buy eventually but I found it was useless and just sat it on a shelf somewhere. You can only learn so much before you just do your own thing and everything you can find in a book you can easilly find on the internet. As soon as you figure out syntax and the basic bits like if, for, =, +, and such your set.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

OK you guys.......... This is G R E A T!

Just wanted to check in with you and let you know that I am reading the Flash docs... I have no programming background, it is making sense though.

At this point, I am about half baked...

ODC