A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Break Apart with ActionScript, Impossible?

Break Apart with ActionScript, Impossible?

Hi, remember if we attach way too many MovieClip in flash (imagine 1000), the flash will be running very slow.....

So, I have an idea about after the MC is attached to the stage, some actionscript will do "BREAK APART" that MC... so the stage will be filled with SHAPE symbols....

for example, I want to add circle_mc to flash overtime, just add circle_mc and no animation is that circle_mc. after that, the circle_mc is break aparted into plain circle (with fill and outline)....

My question is one, It it possible?

FK Slacker
    You can't break apart symbols with actionscript, and it really wouldn't improve the performance anyway...

If you're using Flash 8, you can set the movieclips to cacheAsBitmap, and you'll be able to deal with tons of clips without a major performance hit...

K.

just a little add-on question deadbeat. I've never really understoon which is the proper _mc to set as cacheAsBitmap.

If you had a container clip, and inside of it you had hundreds of objects moving around, would you set the container or each moving object to cacheAsBitmap?

FK Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    If you had a container clip, and inside of it you had hundreds of objects moving around, would you set the container or each moving object to cacheAsBitmap?
    Hmm.. I think you can just set the container clip to cacheAsBitmap...but I haven't really used it enough to verify that.

Depends partly what's in the clips - if the content is scaling / rotating frequently, Flash will have to recalculate the vectors anyway in which case cacheAsBitmap can actually degrade performance...

K.

hmm...
    I should install flash 8 quickly then....
    anyway, if an MC is set to cacheBitmap, can we still access that MC by using it's instance name?
    if No, then how can we make that MC return to it original form, in vector based?