A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A Few questions

A Few questions

First of all, Just recentally, whenever I use 3dfa and compile script, I can never see the results! Ever since I started working with larger screens for games, I can never see the compiling results! Its so hard to work when You dont know what your doing wrong! Does anyone know how I can get it so the compiling box shows up ?

Secondly, I am making a layout for a city for a game. Whenever my guy moves, I want the city to move. This makes it seem that the guy is getting farther away from the objects he walks away from. How do I assign multiple elements to a single variable? Also, Is it possible to even have large scrolling games in 3dfa? Because want I want to do is have a HUGE city for my game and in order to see the whole city, you would have to keep moving around and the screen would scroll. Or can you only make a game as large as the workspace provided?

Thanks

Yeh I actually asked this question awhile back, it is possible. I had a few theories about it but I never tried them. Check threads started by me and you'll find your answers.
    BC

1 suggestion is to make your city a layer or parent movie with all the buildings ect... as children to it. Then when you move it all moves together.

Another option is to use arrays. Then you could loop through each element in the array.

As far as I know you can only see the objects that are located in the workspace but you could break it into multiple layers and make it appear as a scroller.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

The layer idea sounds the easiest. I did think of doing that but I though it might complicate certain collision scripts and changing of scenes, but if it does then I will try a different way.

ok thanks guys, and I will check your original posts con, but the most important question I have is how to I see the results to when I compile my script! I used to be able too, but now the results never show up when I compile a script so I never know what I am doing wrong!

EDIT: Ok, the results are showing up, it just happens to be that when I use bigger screens for my games, the results dont show up.
    Last edited by sonic04; 03-03-2006 at 05:34 PM.

I looked at all of the threads you started connelete, but I didnt find any reguarding scrolling. Or were you refering to assigning multiple elements to one variable?

Well I just used the layer idea anyways so it doesnt matter I guess.

But now I have another question. I got my "temporary scrolling file" working, but I want it so that my main character stays in the center of the screen, you know how most games do this. When the character moves, the background moves but the character is still in the middle of the screen.

Ill upload my file in case you dont understand what I am saying exactly.

O yea and for creating a huge city, I have some ideas. I probably will make a east, west, north, and south section of the city in which would be separate hiddin layers which would be showed in certain scenes which I would play when the main character collides with a line or something...

Anyways here is the file
    Attached Files Attached Files

All you need to do to have the main character stay in the center is to remove the velocity changes for your character from your key up and down events.

Just move the city and not the character.

To scroll your city you could make a layer larger than your main movie.

ok thanks, it works great. I am going to add some more layers later today.

i'm pretty sure one of these guys already gave a good enough suggestion or even same as mine but i still have to try ,

why not making the character at the center of the map and make the map move instead of the character ? that way the character always at the center of the view while the city moves.
    ok....what ?

right, that is what I am doing.