A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: client wants a seamless jukebox open during all nav

perpetually bored

client wants a seamless jukebox open during all nav

Hi. My client wants me to put up a flash jukebox that will stream mp3s. Simple enough, but they want it to play seamlessly while the user navigates the site. The only solution I have come up with is to place the jukebox on the page and then load up all other content in an iFrame. For various reasons, search engines mainly, I don't like iFrames. Is there any other way to do it though? thanks.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Could it open in another window?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

perpetually bored
    They don't want that.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    This is a question I've had for a long, long time.
    To the best of my knowledge those are the only two ways that a "seamless" jukebox can be played thru different pages on a non-Flash site and I've used both methods on different projects.
    The problem is that when a visitor navigates to a new page everything on the page gets refreshed including the Flash that's already been cached which, of course, causes your Flash movie (and song) to start from frame 1.

Now one thing that I don't have any experience with is AJAX, but from my understanding, AJAX allows certain elements of a page to be refreshed without refreshing the whole page.
    Perhaps someone knowledgable could expand on the idea?

As a sidenote, this really is the wrong forum to get a good answer for this kind of question.
    You should have posted over in the Sounds and Music forum.

::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Yep this is the wrong forum for this. I really shouldn't give my input seeing as this is not the correct forum but I will give just a bit.

The only real choices are frameset, IFRAME new minimized window, or AJAX.

For ease of development you can go with a frames page. Although not the best for CEO, that can be worked around a bit.

I am working with Ajax right now or more specifically, XAJAX.
    XAJAX allows you to create a page and dynamically load content to the page without having to refresh. You can refresh certain items while leaving the rest alone.

You could load your mp3 player into a div, and then load content on the fly to another div without affecting the MP3 player whatsoever.
    I guess the question you need to ask is; how far do you want to go?

3PRIMATES

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar

perpetually bored
    thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I am going to go the ajax route. I came across this site http://www.elvisthemusic.com and would love to know how it was made but I can't figure it out.

On that page the player is called from a php file that is in an iframe.

<iframe name ="jjuke" ID ="jjuke" align="middle" width = 196 height = 137 frameborder="0" framespacing="0" src="miniPlayer.php" scrolling ="no"></iframe>

Somehow when the navs are clicked, the whole page reloads (including the player as far as I see), but the player somehow continues to play like it didn't reload. Anyone know how this was this done? It's hard to figure out because the nav is in flash. I think it calls a js method with the fscommand to load the new pages

Code:
    function NewWindow(mypage, myname, w, h, scroll) {
    var winl = (screen.width - w) / 2;
    var wint = (((screen.height - h) / 2) - 25);
    winprops='height='+h+',width='+w+',top='+wint+',left='+winl+',resizable=no,locationbar=no,statusbar=no,toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,directories=no,copyhistory=no,scrollbars=no';
    win = window.open(mypage, myname, winprops)
    if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4) { win.window.focus(); }

}
    but still the .php file with the player doesn't make sense to me. Can you load into the main window and not alter the content in the iframe? strange to me.