A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Selectable input field

Selectable input field

I have a small quiz with a seires of text input fields. Each question is on a different frame. Inside the input field is "type answer here". Users can select the text and overwrite it or delete it. For some reason after a few frames users can no longer select this text, either by clicking and dragging or by double clicking. The cursor jumps straight to the start of the input field and they have to delete letter by letter.

Anyone seen this before?

no, I have never seen this before.
    I just placed 8 text fields on seperate frames with text in each and it was fine.....some thing else is amiss here.
    peace.

<bump> Yet another one, please help!

Attach a stripped down version of your fla if you want further help.

gparis

I would if I could, but they have so much going on in them that it wouldn't make much sense to anybody. I can say that there are multiple levels, and when I edit the text of the uppermost level, it makes all of the text (on levels below the top level) unselectable - at least not w/ the mouse - (I can ctrl-shift-right and/or ctrl-a select all). But it only happens when I edit the text on the topmost level.. I edit anything underneath it just fine, but hit that top level, and all goes haywire! Its a wierd thing that has to do with the focus or something.
    Last edited by sammy123123; 08-20-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Hi, actually, I think I will strip it down tonight when I get home and attach the file..

For now, let me just explain more.. as an example, go to any text field anywhere (google or wherever), type in something, then hold Ctrl+Left Arrow. Now, keep holding those keys and try to select the text. See? Thats exactly whats happening. What on earth sort of conditions could possibly cause flash to behave this way?

Hi, I stripped it down to bare bones minimum and uploaded it
    Last edited by sammy123123; 08-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.

You can attach to your post. See the sticky thread on top of this Forum.

gparis

I will have to figure out how to as they are large files. Though I may have figured it out, as removing some library elements from stripping it down caused it to work properly.. something in my library was conflicting with it. I will look and see. Thank you
    Last edited by sammy123123; 08-21-2010 at 10:57 AM.