A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More problems with my Interactive CD

More problems with my Interactive CD

Hello again,

I'm still working on this interactive CD and now i've got an interesting problem. I have dynamic text in a scrolling text box but it doesn't always scroll.. It works every other time you put the CD in. Is there any reason for this? I'm just using the standard scroll bars. Do you think I need to make custom scroll bars to make this work more reliably?

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Are you importing the text from an external text file or is it hard coded in? If you are loading it from an external file then the times that it doesn't work it is probably loading the text after the scrollbar gets loaded.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Cheers Jason, I made some custom scroll buttons. It works everytime now which is good

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Another problem i'm getting now is that the text on my projector file is defaulting on a few machines as Times New Roman instead of the text that I selected when making the file... Is this something I can control so that it stays as the text I requested? It only seems to happen on a couple of machines but the worry is that it will change for every machine that it is put onto.

any ideas?

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

What is most likely happening is that the machines that you are running it on don't have the font installed that you are using. You will need to embed the font that youare using. In Flash 8 there is a button down on the Textbox properties panel. I believe it is the same for MX and MX2004 but you can always look up embedding fonts in the help file.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that... I knew it was possible, i just completely forgot where to find the button... lol

Cheers again mate

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Ok now I have a different problem... I've got the text to be correct by embedding all the fonts etc but now there is a problem with some of the text colliding with each other (as if the space between them isn't there.). It seems to happen when I change the colour from black to the highlight colour (red or blue or green etc). But it doesn't happen all the time.. any ideas?

thanks

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Hmmm....I haven't seen that issue ever. Do you have a sample you can post or some screenshots?
    Jason L. Wright

Hi Jason,

I have attached a test of the same problem using text and colour. It is an fla file, I have attached a jpg screenshot too. I still don't know what's wrong, I managed to recreate the problem (as I wondered if it was just the file I was working on or the machine I was working on) this was done on a completely independent machine not on our network...

any idea's as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

I don't know what font you are using but I didn't have it on my computer. I tested the file and it wouldn't let me change the text color of individual words in Flash 8 without first enabling "Render as HTML." I enabled that and changed the colors or individual words. After doing that I wasn't able to see any of the problems that are being seen in your screenshot.
    Jason L. Wright

oh ok... so this is a font thing bugger, i embedded all the fonts in the document too this doesn't make sence as its only happening in a few of them and not all of them....

very purplexing.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

The font is trade gothic... should I try it in arial or something else instead?

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

You need to make it render as html to fix it. When I opened your file that setting was turned off in the properties panel and turning it on made it work. You could also try a different font if you'd like.
    Jason L. Wright

Hi Jason,

I tried that, I still get the same problem... I changed the font to Arial and made it render as HTML and it still happened..

This is very strange lol

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Maybe it is a bug in FP6. I am using 8 here. With a CD you want to use the absolute newest version available since the player is packaged in the projector.
    Jason L. Wright

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that... Also going back to the scroll bar problem. Is there any way of getting the scroll bars to load first?

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

So you are wanting to load the scroll bard and then the text? The only way to do this would be if there is a refresh function for the scroll bar component. Then you would have to refresh the scrollbar after the text is loaded. I know that the scrollpand component has one but i'm unsure about the scrollbars.
    Jason L. Wright

I just looked it up and it appears that you will have to use:
    scrollBarInstance.setScrollProperties(pageSize, minPos, maxPos)

You have to know how many lines the test is that you are loading though so that you can set the max position.
    Jason L. Wright

Hello again Jason,

this isn't working for me i've tried the code for the refresh (in the actionscript snippets) and it doesn't work this has completely stumped me now .... I wonder if making a custom scroll bar and buttons would work better?

Would that have the same problems?

Christopher Mitchell
    E.M. Forster

Refresh doesn't work with the scrollbar component. You have to usee the function that i mentioned. Using a custom scroll bar is going to have the same issues unless you write a function to fix it.
    Jason L. Wright