A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to control an external object from Flash?

Hybrid View

How to control an external object from Flash?

Hi all,
    I am working on getting Flash to control a program (object?) that is loaded on my computer called "Story". I have a sample html web page that is able to control it, but I'd rather not use an html file at all, and would like to reference this program (object) from directly within Flash.

Here is the code that is in the original html file:
    <!-- Required for connecting to the Story object - Story must be running first, before starting the web page -->
    <object width="0" height="0" id="Story" classid="CLSID:8FDD41D0-E2B6-4160-B553-1F8809DCF6C0" ></object>

In the html, there are then a few buttons with code on them like this:
    onmouseup="Pause()"

Is anyone familiar with this? I imagine I need some action scripting to tell Flash where the program is. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Kent

I'd guess that the object is controlled by javascript; the onmouseup="Pause()" can probably be replicated in flash using, on a button
    code:

on(release) {
    getURL("java script:Pause();");
    }

But the flash would have to be embedded in an HTML page with the object to do so. Is there any javascript in that HTML page?

If you want a flash executable to control your program, I think you'll need to build a wrapper with VB.NET or similar, or purchase one of the third party swf-to-exe solutions.... ask in the standalone/applications forum.

(NB< tak ethe space out of "java script"
    Hariyemadzisawira nhaka yedu! Down the SCUD and win!
    I'm too lazy to read Private Messages.

Hi scudsucker,
    Thanks for the code - that worked using an html page! (as you said, using "javascript" without the space.)

Yes, all of the command codes on the html page are javascript.

Ideally I would like to just have a Flash projector (exe) file to run (instead of needing an html page), so I'll drop a post in the standalones/applications forum.

Thanks!!

- Kent