A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: useless .swf files from trial version?

useless .swf files from trial version?

Hi Guys

I have downloaded a trial version of flash 8 onto my mac/intel. I made my movie which consists of photographs and a text script.

I proceeded to make a .swf file and took it to my pc laptop. The pc laptop will be at the end of the digital projector at my exhibtion - in 12 days! (am artist)

On the laptop pc (which has flash mx and flashplayer 6) the .swf file only shows the photographs not the text (ariel font). I tried to download flashplayer 8 incase this was the problem but the flashpl 8 only seems to be operational in internet explorer on the pc.

Am I having these problems because I am using a trail version and will it go away when i buy the bloody software or is there some compatibility stuff going on here?

Very Red Robert

ps (in case you feel nothing for the abovementioned problem and need another problem to solve)

- Also, it seems like I can not make a standalone player with the trial version on the mac ( i do suspect that this is part of the trial version deal though)

- Also, on the mac, I can not pull the .swf file created in the flash 8 trial version into quicktime. I can pull older .swf files i made into the quicktime but not the files created in this fl8 trial version.

I hope you guys can help me. Othewise i am returning to oilpaints and brushes!

some solutions

Ok i downloaded flash 8 on the pc too and now the swf file is reading everything as it should (the images look like doodoo on the pc though).

It seems like swf files made in flash 8 wont play in a flash 6 player.

The pc trial version allows one to make a standalone player too.

I am still not managing to take .fla files back and forth. The flash8 on the pc doesnt even see the .fla file made on the mac. The earlier versions i made in flash 6 some time ago does go back and forth though.

Quicktime and flash8: It seems like the quicktime just wont open a .swf made in flash8.

Hi,

First learn to post politely, Do u know how many people rely on macromedia flash and make a living out of it, like you have your bread and butter with your oilpaints and brushes.

Just try to learn few things before you start complaining.

Regarding your prolem, first of all do you know from your flash software you can publish not only *.swf, also you can publish Windows compatible Projector *.exe as well as MAC compatible Projector *.hqx.

And regarding versions if you publish a version 6 and play in a Player version 8. It won't have a problem. Where as you are publishing a Version 8 *.swf and trying to play in a lower version Player that is 6 ? bleh .. that's make no sense. Try downloading the latest flash player for your Laptop/PC .

Hope that solves your problem.

Thanks for the info mr da_hammer. I surely can use it. As you might see in the post above yours, i did download the new software on the pc too and it solved most of my problems.

I am sorry if I posted in an offensive manner, although I dont really see how and as for earning a living....well i do earn a living from my exhibitions which include digital media. (flash movies)

I know flash well and have never experienced these problems in previous versions. That is why I came to ask for help. I am on a deadline here.

but thanks so much again for replying I am much obliged.

The Red

1) There is no restriction coming with the Flash Trial Version
    I think, there was some Bug with Mac and creating Standalone Players..
    2) Quicktime only plays swfs up to Version 5
    3) Don't ask me why, but you need to zip the .fla on the mac before handing
    it over to the PC..

Was that all ?
    My letters on the F1 key have faded, how are yours today?

thank you, ta and ngia bonga en dankie (local s.a. expressions of gratitude)....i will now quit slamming a new swf into quicktime and acting like a sailor when it refuses me.

ok now a stupid question - i see this is the appropriate phrase to use to ingratiate and i must justify my stupidity - new mac user.

how does one zip on mac? *ducks for admonishment*

ok just in the minute chance that there is another idjit like me around.

click on file and choose create archive of "said file"

I did this took it to the pc and unzipped it there but i am afraid it still does not recocnise it. dam.

Hmm this is really weired, normally fla exchange between mac and pc works well..
    The flash8 on the pc doesnt even see the .fla
    Do you still got this problem? If so, what does it mean exactly?
    The fla isn't visible in the file system?

Or what is the errormessage?

it makes an icon on the pc desktop but one of those that indicate that it does not have an associated program. so if you click on it anyway, it brings up the console that offers you all the available programs and asks you which one you want to use to open the file.

if i choose flash 8 or mx it just says it doesnt recocnise it.

i am zipping it the way i indicated above. Do you think i should try and use another software to zip it? I mean....i am going to, but any suggestions? what do you use to zip it?

And yes I am not managing to make a standalone player on the mac. I will go look for solutions for that but in the meantime i thought taking it over to the pc would solve for that.

I did take the swf over to the pc though and managed to make standalone player with it.

Thanks for apeasing my fears and for the above info - alot!

The fla file should have an extension of ".fla"
    No clue, why it is different on your system. Did you manually cut off the extension somehow? Try renaming to xxx.fla...
    And did you even pass over the correct file to your PC?
    (Should be ".fla" on mac already)

And sorry no clue why your Mac refuses to create hqx(standalone projector for Mac) files..

(As far as i remember you can't create an exe on the Mac for
    some reason, i should have mentioned that before... )

dear mchero

this is not what i meant when i said
    "The flash8 on the pc doesnt even see the .fla "

what i meant is that it does not recocnise it as a flash file.

But the miracle here is the fact that the scenario you described is exactly what had happened.

The file did not have the .fla extension on and when i repaired it, the file worked perfectly on the pc.

Thank you so much for solving this problem. I am embarresed at the simplicity, something I should have seen myself but I am tired and panicky.

Moral of the story: "don't panic!"

thanks again and also for all the other info which did not solve my problem but took away the frustration.

:bow: