A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this a breach of copywrite?

perplexed by actionscript alien_landscape's Avatar

Is this a breach of copywrite?

Hey guys,

I am working on a short animation and want to use a certain piece of film music for my soundtrack.

The finished animation will not be used for any commercial purpose but purely as a portfolio piece, though it will be viewable on my website.

By using the track in this way would I be in breach of copywrite even if I gave full credits to the artist and record label? (I have seen this done on other sites)

I hope this is not a naive question to ask, thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 03-19-2006 at 04:08 PM.

anyone?

Two things to think about here:

1. Copyright protects against unauthorized performance of the recording. By putting the music on your site, you are publicly performing the recording.

2. A portfolio serves to advertise your services, which makes it a commercial application (just like a TV commercial).

So, by putting that music on your site without a license, you would be violating copyright. By putting it on a commercial site, you are violating copyright for financial gain.

Incidentally, thanks for asking the question. It seems that far too many people on this forum are perfectly happy to steal music for their site without considering the owner of the work.

Funny...those are usually the same people who crap their pants every time they see a site rip.

films don't make music :P

go through the sound-track and contract whoever is in charge of the track, these people are normally suprisingly reachable.

Thanks so much for those comments and suggestions guys; you’ve definitely helped to clarify things for me.

I’ve certainly got nothing to loose by contacting the record label and asking for permission to use the track, so I guess I’ll give that a go.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by alien_landscape
    Thanks so much for those comments and suggestions guys; you’ve definitely helped to clarify things for me.

I’ve certainly got nothing to loose by contacting the record label and asking for permission to use the track, so I guess I’ll give that a go.

Thanks again.
    make sure you get something in writing and hand signed so they can't come back on you.