A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do i have the character driving in the car?

How do i have the character driving in the car?

I've started this huge huge project which has to be done in less than a month. What i have is basically a one main character(soldier type). The enviroment i am trying to create is that of in Silent Hill. Not the same but similar. Anyway, i've done all the character's shapes and converted them to symbols and ready to animate. If i need more from different perspectives, i'll do it on the way.

Here are two things i am stuck at.

First the character in driving in the car. Well i can use 2 layers for the character and the car. But how would i make it look that the guy is in the car and driving? I want the Car to be visible in the front and guy at the back but i also want to have the back of the car visible behind the character. The only thing i can think of is to cut the car in 2 parts. Front and back. Convert them to symbols. This is one way but i like to know if there is a better way to do it?

2. My character is going to be using a guy for the most part through the movie. Well....holding the gun is what's troubling me. His hands are seperate symbols apart from the arms. But the thing is, the gun is going to be a seperate symbol. How am i going to make it look that the hands are wraped around the gun and in holding position?

Please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks.

1. For the guy in the car, I suggest you make a graphic symbol containing both the guy and the car, so that you can tween the whole thing as well as tweening the guy's movements inside the car. The instance of the symbol should be set to play once (instead of loop or single frame). The option for that is in a pulldown menu in the properties panel when you have selected the graphic symbol.
    hint: when you do this, make sure that you are selecting the graphic symbol in the first frame of a tween. Otherwise, flash won't let you do it.

For the holding the gun thing, I suggest you make two hand symbols: one empty, and one with a gun. Then you just use whichever one is appropriate.
    hint: for the same reason as the problem in the last hint, Flash won't allow you to swap graphic symbols on the same layer. To solve this, you could try using movie clips instead of graphics for the hand symbol.

Thanks, i think i get it now.

This project is pretty complicated with what i am trying to achieve. But i'll be able to finish some of it in a month. Also i was thinking of turning it into a movie. Perheps if the things go smooth and it gets intersting, i'll think of making it longer.

PS. I love the Silent Hill movie, judging from the trailer that is.

Oh and one more thing. To create deserted eniroments like in Silent Hill, which program do you think would be the best choice to create in? I have Photoshop and decent skills but i am not a painter so i can not create awsome looking backgrounds. Are there any other softwares other than photshop that would be the best choice for my work?

that would (imo) depend how the look you're trying to achieve. Realism? Photoshop might be good (although using a pixeled image in a vector program doesnt always turn out well).

I greatly enjoy creating backgrounds and do so primarily in Flash. While Flash doesnt offer you a vast amount of effects (texture and such), you can always work between Flash and Illustrator (both are vector-based).

Also, research your enviorments. if you want a city square, look at pics of real city squares and work from there. i'm not saying you should trace over the pic, but you can certainly take ideas and peices of that and work it into your self-made enviornments. (doing so might also improve your paint skills).

good luck on your project!

Thanks. I've heard alot of good things about Illustrater and i think i'll give it a try. I can create backgrounds in Flash but the only problem are the textures. Not much texturing you can do in flash.

Of course i am using reference for everything i make because it's easier when you can see something. Since yestarday, i've done making a car. Front, side, and in between front and side view of the car. Now i think i'll make the back view of too just so i can give it a cool spin. Believe me, it's not a basic cartoon car. I tried to make it look real as possible. Now that i look back at it, all that time was worth working on it.

Pretty soon, i would have to create Zombies and Demons.