A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is it possible to sell your movies and games? How would you do that anyway?

Is it possible to sell your movies and games? How would you do that anyway?

First of all, how many of you sell your flash movies and games?

Second of all, how do you do it? Who do you sell it to? Companies? people?

And lastly, how much would you really make off selling your flash movies or games? I know it depends on how complicated it is but just tell me the regular price range.

Oh and one more. Do you have to be a pro to sell stuff or you can sell it even if your a student? I mean like, would the clients accept the work coming from students( if there work is good)?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Thread Moved.

I would suggest searching this forum (The Boardroom) for answers to your pricing question.

As far as selling your games and movies, maybe take a look at our sister site FlashFoundry. Original content is being purchased now, and you can negotiate your own deals.

Good Luck.

Thanks.

I've been making and selling Flash games for about 2 years now, and it's the only thing i'm doing right now. (I quit my regular job as an IT trainor)

One good way to get clients is ofcourse thru self-promotion. If you have a website, or blog, you can write somethings about yourself and post your portfolio. And do remember to use the link as a signature to posts you make in forums. If you don't have a personal site, you can always "feature" your game here in Flashkit, newgrounds, or any other place where people will be able to see it. I didn't have a website, and my very first client saw a game i made here in FK, and contacted me regarding purchasing the game.

In regards to Flash games, pricing differs from client to client. Flash game portals usually purchase games anywhere within the $100 to $5000 range. Price would also depend upon whether you game is a casual game, multiplayer game, a sellable game (game demo + purchase to play more levels), or MMORPG.

The thing you have to do is build a reputation as a quality game developer if you want your clients to keep coming back. You have to learn the ropes of what a quality game is made of.

If you're good enough, some clients may even come to you asking for games on a regular basis, or even hire you fulltime. And that's a fact.
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

Thanks for the long reply.

What about animations? Are flash animations( either short or long) sold as much as games? The reason i ask is because i have no experience in making flash games. But for flash animations. I can do it without a problem. If you say so, i can do 3d modeling and animation too. I use Maya for that. I just started to get into swift 3d and combining it with flash to give it more realistic look......still working on it.

I see that games these days are very popular. Now seriously, be honest, is making games hard work? Specificly refering to the coding part. Comparing Actionscript to HTML from learning point of view, which is easier to learn? I am not a programing type of guy but i'll try to get to know it.

[/QUOTE]is making games hard work?[QUOTE]

Sbort answer - Yes.

as much as making flash animations?

What i mean is, what part takes the most time. Actionscript or animation?

well money doesnt grow off trees.

so the amount of work u put in to here u can put into a normal job and get paid as well. the only reason to do this over others is that
    1) ur ur own boss and ur salary isnt fixed so it can soar one month and sink the next
    2) its much easier to sit in front of a screen at home rather than communting to work and actually 'working'.
    3) u shud do this if ur already good at it or have a background. although learning is not a bad idea but u wont learn overnite.
    Flash N00b Here! <<<

i'd say the more amount of work is spent on design than on the actual coding. There's a big difference in knowing what to say, and how to say it. But even if designing takes more time, coding requires more knowledge. So more code equals more dough.

Unfortunately though, not much is on the market for Flash animations; banners, websites, yeah... but animations... don't think so. The only clients i could think of that would really consider buying animations, are those that involve themselves with broadcast media.

If you can come up with a story, which good characters, then create a series of animations about it, then perhaps you can sell the rights to one of the broadcasting networks.
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

Games tend to get sponsored more often - as they are much more interactive, and if developed well, the user might want to come back to it.

With a movie, the plot stays the same every time, so, once you've seen it, you've seen it.

Selling animations etc.

As EVP mentioned FlashFoundry is actively looking to purchase Flash animations, nav components, website templates, and possibly any other widgets you can come up with.

If you're interested check out the submissions link for info on how to get your stuff reviewed and maybe make some dough. - Q

Thanks. But the thing is, how i do know what they are looking for? Like say animation for ex. I can simply sell them any animation or it's gotta be the one they are looking for?

FlashFoundry

Hey Hulkis – don't be shy! Go check out the site, see what's up there so you can get a feel for the different types of movies, animations etc. we're offering. You'll also maybe get a feel for which kind of content is lacking on the site. If your stuff meets or beats the quality there, simply submit some samples. Our content guru will check out all submissions and let you know either way. Then you guys can negotiate a deal or possibly discuss ideas for new submissions.

Right now we are focused on building the collection and therefore looking for a little bit of everything – so give it a shot! - Q

Sure, i'll give it a try.