A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [BETA] Action Adventure game in development

more now more

[BETA] Action Adventure game in development

Hello folks,

A friend and I who work together are producing our first game, so it'd be great if people who really know what they're talking about can playtest the engine and give their feedback on how to improve it.

The scrolling engine is based on Strille's design, and the collision detection is a hash up of Tonypa's vector methods, the Bitmap hitTest method in flash 8, and the not-so-good-old hitTest - all used together to get the thing working properly

The game is in very early stages, but we've got support from great musicians contributing music, and one of the finest digital artists around (ekud - aka Justin Maller, founder of http://www.depthcore.com/v5/ ) is responsible for the backdrops we're using.

The current aim is to get a demo level we can leave online for people to play whilst we develop the rest of the game behind closed doors.

Any criticism/feedback will be gratefully received!

http://www.futurlab.co.uk/games/prism/

Thanks!

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    It has a very unique look, runs really smoothly, and controls very nicely. It's a great beginning. One question, can you destory the snake thing?

Also, I found a bug. I jumped on the slanted piece near the beginning of the level and slide down it, suddenly was inside of it and I couldn't get out. I think I might have pressed lightning instead of jump like I intended.

(See attached screenshot)
    Attached Images Attached Images

more now more
    thanks for the comments.

Hmm, the sneaky Bolt-to-Stuck bug... I thought I'd nailed that critter...

It should be fixed now.

Yeah, the worm can be defeated, it's not that obvious that you have to nail all the cells before it gives up - if you time it just right you can take it out in one move with the Bolt

Cheers for the screengrab!
    Last edited by routine404; 03-28-2006 at 12:51 PM.

better than chuck norris
    Cool game. Love the bolt thing, took me a little to get used to. I found a bug when attempting to go through the portal, I fell and became stuck out to the left of the wall on the bottom, forgot the screenshot.

Very cool game, can't wait for this one to get finished.

nice idea, looks and plays well. Must be nice having a digital artist and musician on board, so many games lack in those departements

can't wait for the end result
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Nice but after the first level it tries to load http://www.futurlab.co.uk/games/prism/save_map.php which isn't there. Also, this is really well done. I would like to see the code.

more now more
    hey folks,

thanks for the comments.

Nice but after the first level it tries to load http://www.futurlab.co.uk/games/prism/save_map.php which isn't there
    oops, I forgot to update the map saving file...

I would like to see the code.
    I'm working on a development kit that I will offer to people, which will have most of the code we're using:

framework
    scrolling layer management
    map builder
    collision detection
    loading and saving maps

etc.

Must be nice having a digital artist and musician on board, so many games lack in those departements
    To be honest I wouldn't have started programming this game if I didn't know that I had access to these things. The game was kick started when a friend of mine[1] who wanted to get into 3D modelling had a go at an idea I had for a character; so it got off to a strong start - and with such amazing people like Tonypa around, it's possible to build something like this in a very short time (without including the time I spent fathoming Strille's engine, it's been less than 2 months development).

Also, I work very closely with a talented musician/producer[2], whom I have trained in Flash, so we are able to get most of the required things done between us.

I'd like some variation to the soundtrack so I've put out a call for people to contribute to the game on some of the mailing lists I'm on, and the response has been amazing. So, from a musical perspective, it's going to be exciting

The graphic backdrops, which I think are just stunning were commissioned from Justin Maller[3]. I'd kill to have him onboard full time - maybe some day..

Will keep you all posted on the game, and also the development kit when it's ready to download.

cheers!

[1] http://tgoodman.co.uk/
    [2] http://www.electroniclife.co.uk/sikir/ | www.soundjotter.com/sjJukebox.html
    [3] http://www.depthcore.com/v5/profile/11/
    Last edited by routine404; 03-29-2006 at 06:31 AM.

oik i made it after hte first 'level?' and made into the portal. on the second screen i got all the way up in the top right corner and fell down off the right side :P

cool game! fun :!
    FuzzGtp

more now more

the levels are pox at the moment - working on a decent demo level now...

cheers

what i didn´t like (getting to that first as its less stuff ) :
    -the controls were not easy to get into at first.
    doesn´t mean they are bad in any way,more they are kinda special so a tutorial level would be nice.
    -some of the movement seemed clapped,i mean i´d like to be able to go from one move to the other
    -when in bolt mode i´d like to be able to have more control freedom where the bolt goes

other then that: slck art,solid engine,really nice work so far,makes me want to see more.
    Nice to see more and more mature and great flash games in dev these days. keep rolling
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-30-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Reminds me of n. Promising ideas, but the gameplay feels forced. I think the controls need a little work to feel natural.

The game shows technical prmosie, but the character doesn't draw me in, and neither does the enemy. Needs more character.

I very much like the mousaiming with the keyboard movement. I'll have to try that on my next game.
    Last edited by rubbersharkman; 03-30-2006 at 12:57 PM.

excellent ideas! Love the feel of the jump - thought it would be annoying at first - but the smooth scrolling and fast pace makes it work nicely. I'm assuming more work will go into the look of the character and baddies (would especially like to see nice transitions for turning, falling etc. like early 'prince of persia', 'flashback', 'another world' etc.)

not quite sure whether 'hover mode' will be really be necessary as the 'bolt' mode seems to cover zooming about in the air with a limited fashion and makes the levels open to some interesting set-ups.

good work! look forward to seeing more of this

more now more
    hey,

really appreciate these comments guys!

We're working on the controls, and the current sprite is just a placeholder for the real deal which is *almost* ready to put into the game.

When the character is fully realised in the game, the hover mode will make a lot more sense.

I'm really happy you guys are enjoying it - we're learning something new about game dev every day, so we're taking all criticisms in our stride

Cheers!

more now more
    damn,

bandwidth limit exceeded

On our own pigging server!

should be back up soon...

Couldn't that bee seen as a good sign? It probably means that a lot of people think highly of your work. I know that I do.

Help... ETC

Hey, I need help,
    I have a game, my character is named "man"
    It is an RPG and im trying to stop him from going through the walls.. any ideas on how?????????

Great game, how did you make the "WASD" keys activate a movement, all i can use atm is "<>v^"?
    Another thing Im interested in is making your guy move where you clicked?

Thanks,
    Lord Kroulee
    Last edited by lord kroulee; 04-02-2006 at 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot something

more now more
    Hey,

Check out tonypa's tilebased worlds tutorial (http://tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/index.html), it'll teach you how to do these things quickly

check out www.midphase.com - unlimited bandwidth for a very nice price.

Really nice!

You have some interesting things going on, this could turn out to be a great game. I wish you good luck with the rest of the game!