A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AVI export

AVI export

Ok...I'm doing 30 fps animation to export to AVI to import into Adobe premier. Problem I'm having is that when I export as uncompressed, the file imports but doesn't perform in the Premiere timeline. It has all kinds of visual problems. Hard to describe but my assumption is becasue the bit rate is so high that Premiere has a hard time playing it back. I then thought that encoding it with one of the codecs would fix that since it would lower the bit rate, but Premiere gives error messages and won't import it. I then tried to take the uncompressed file and put it through procoder to convert it to a DV AVI and that still doesn't work. Only thing that works is a quicktime export or to import it as a PNG sequence to Flash and then export an AVI out of that.

Is there some method to achieving successful AVI exports from Swift to use directly in Premiere. Also are there some tips on achieving clean keyable backgrounds out of that AVI export. I've done some single frame with a green and blue background and I'm not cutting a clean key. Lots of artifacts around parts of the animation that have been smoothed.

Any help is appreciated.

Which version of Premiere are you using?

And what "problems" are you having?

Uncompressed AVI's should have no problems other than the amount of RAM that's needed to run that preview - render out to a compiled *.avi and then try it out. I know that *.mov's (Quicktime) are a pain in the butt to view while uncompressed but when rendered out, they run without issue.

For AVI's, I tend to stick to Microsoft's AVI compression, either via the internal codecs or via the Windows Media 9 Encoder (free download via Microsoft.com).

But as far as it goes, why not output to *.mov? If you have Quicktime Pro, you should be able to send out uncompressed quicktime and use that if your Premiere has the proper codecs registered with the program.

Just a thought.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Ok...heres what I'm finding and the problem has been duplicated on two seperate machines, I've attached a pic of what the imported AVI looks like in the preview window of Premiere and also on the time line. This is a uncompressed AVI right out of Swift.

The Microsoft Codecs give me errors so I tried Canopus and Cinepac and they improted OK but they didn't key clean. I tried a FLV and PNG export from Flash to AVI and that didn't give a sharp pic or a clean key. What I finally did, and seems to work, is import the uncompressed AVI from Swift into After Effects and then export back out of After Effects in uncompressed modeand I get a clean key and a good pic. Seems odd though, I would think I should be able to use the AVI right out of Swift without all these other steps.

Is anyone keying swift avis and what settings are you using? Uncompressed would seem important for a good key.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm having the same problem. However Premiere (Pro 1.5) won't even play the AVI's...it imports them, but then I get errors. Is there any fix or workaround for this???
    Foochuck
    http://www.myspace.com/foochuck