A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your thoughts on HDR Photography?

Conclusion

So...if you want to make an HDR image of something with "action" in it, you take a RAW pic and then change the exposure settings and save them out....this way you avoid blur ? Is that correct ?

Also when I import my HDR image into Photomatrix from photoshop, I get a lot of artifacts...any ideas on that one ? Basically I am inporting the RAW files into Photoshop where it creates the HDR image.

Thanks a ton for any imput !
    Dijhili

there is other ways, but there alot of work! the raw way there is the easiest way yea.

what do you mean by artifacts? never used the hdr thing in photoshop

I figured out to use bracketing...but now I am trying to see how to change the intervals......does not seem to work unless I use JPG ...but the book says otherwise.....must look into this further.
    Dijhili

never tried to use bracketing on the d50 on any other mode than jpeg, why would you need to?

Well I got the bracketing to work....

Slinky2000 I am using it to be able to take 3 different exposure settings to acheive a decent amount of exposure variance in creating the HDR. At least this way I do not have to change the settings manually.

But still one question...if something is moving, how do you create a decent HDR. It the shutter needs to stay open to create the overexposed shot, the moving object will blur. How is this avoidable. I have read that creating a single shot and then adjusting the exposure values in other programs just is not as good. Atcually they say it sucks.

Thanks
    Dijhili

I use RAW pics vs. jpgs cause RAW pics have so many more channels, channels that you need for hdr such as luminance....a jpg just gets brighter which is not the same.
    Dijhili

One thing I do not like so much is the halo you get around objects using the photomatrix method. I have seen some fantastic results using just photoshop. But I guess using photoshop is more difficult cause you actually have to know how to use it, vs photomatrix only having a few adjustment.

Slinky, how can you open a RAW image in photomatrix ?
    Dijhili

yea photomatrix does put a halo in now and again but its not too noticable if you have the setting right usually.

I think you need to use the batch process to open raws in photomatrix

Sorry to bump this but i've just been trying some HDR images for the first time in ages and i'm loving the results!

These two were taken in the last 2 days and they are generated from 1 RAW file each (I wasn't planning on HDRing them, or I would have taken a couple )

Anyone got any recent HDR images to share?

While searching back for this thread I realised how many quality threads we've had here, keep up the good work!
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

No, but I'm interested now. Does it require RAW format only. How about TIFF or JPG?

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    Sorry to bump this but i've just been trying some HDR images for the first time in ages and i'm loving the results!

Anyone got any recent HDR images to share?

While searching back for this thread I realised how many quality threads we've had here, keep up the good work!
    The ship shot I posted before but I would like to bring it back in memory as I did not get much of a feedback the first time...

This one is new...
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Love the first one, really surreal atmosphere and great perspective.

The second shot looks kinda rushed, what is it? The HDR technique works well though reminds me of something from the film version of 1984
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    Love the first one, really surreal atmosphere and great perspective.

The second shot looks kinda rushed, what is it? The HDR technique works well though reminds me of something from the film version of 1984
    I took it from board of a harbour cruise boat and when I worked on it in PS I had the the idea to give it that menacingly look as something here reminded me on the time of the "Third Reich"...maybe the flag and the shelter-like building on the right did this...see, this is my (our) very individual phantasy...my eyes how I look at the things
    I agree, the first shot looks very clean and meticulous compared to the second!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

How many bracketed shots did you use? And how fast did you take them? I mean, on the water, with motion all the time, they look remarkably clear. I played with photomatrix a little last night, using some shots from my porch, cause it was raining, but the movement of the trees and even the clouds was enough to make it blurry.

Nikonist
    I don't like Photomatix at all as it makes the photos noisy.
    I only use 1 shot (jpg) and I work a lot with the magic wand tool to select objects and shapes and areas in my photos and adjust each selection manualy using the levels.
    So it is not really a HDR but I try to bring up the best result that is possible for me working this way...and it looks pretty much like HDR ...and in a way it is HDR!!

www.ajs-design.de

Fooled me.

It does look very HDR. Very nice. Really like the second one. It looks very totalitarian.

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Fooled me.

It does look very HDR. Very nice. Really like the second one. It looks very totalitarian.
    Exactly! That is the word!
    I wanted it to look that way!

www.ajs-design.de

I just browsed around some sites from Google for HDR Photography, and found this one. While reading, I picked up on something about the Photmatix software I hadn't found last night, a setting in one of the menus at the top.

So I ran three pics I kept from my little experimental shoot out the porch door in the rain last night, and came up with this. So much better than last nights disappointment. I can see I'll be training my eye for more of this kind of photography, I like it.

And for some reason, there is no watermark in the result.