A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML Slideshow: Issue with Thumbs and Text

XML Slideshow: Issue with Thumbs and Text

Ok.. Still struggling with this.. WAAAYYYY overdue...... I can't seem to load text AND a thumbnail into targets contained in the same clip. The thumbnail mc's which are attached using a 'for' loop to loop through the XML doc are set up like this:
    Code:
                                   |--> Target Text Field
    Main Thumb Clip  --------->
                                   |--> Thumb Clip --> Target JPG Clip
    I can make it work fine with JUST displaying the text, or JUST displaying the thumbnail, but not both together. When I try to add text to the thumbnail clips, the jpg disappears. The fact that i can make them work individually, tells me that most of what i'm doing is right... but I can't make them work together.

Anyone have any idea what might cause something like this. There's kind of a lot of code to go through, so i didn't post it here, but if you think you might have some ideas, let me know and i'll post the files ASAP.

Thanks for any and all thought you might have about this
    Last edited by madzigian; 04-12-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

ok... please look at these (you can can click either link.. there is a link to the other at the bottom of each page) and you can more clearly see what's happening.

IMAGES ONLY WORKING

TEXT ONLY WORKING

They are the same file... except one has a textbox included in the thumbnail mc, and the other doesn't. why does adding text, completely screw up everything having to do with images????... How else can i do this?

NEED ANY HELP OR A PUSH IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION... THIS IS VERY OVERDUE AND I HAVE BEEN AT IT NON STOP SINCE SUNDAY.... i think i did get about 4 hours of sleep one of those days...but i'm dying here... It can't be THAT HARD!!! .. i CAN'T BE THIS RETARDED?!?!?! ,..... (i hope)

Thanks in advance....
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx

Check your depths, if you're trying to load both into the same depth level one will overwrite the other... post your code and I'll have a look...

populating text into a dynamic text box doesn't require a level.... you can text and an image on the same level as far as i know.

The code is rather long... and won't make much sense without the Fla. but here you go:

--ooops.. sorry, it's too long to post in here. download it from the link in my previous post
    Last edited by madzigian; 04-13-2006 at 03:01 PM.

well, not that anyone was reading this... but i solved the problem. I believe it to be a depth problem.... I was not able to populate an existing text box, so i have to create one on the fly for each thumbnail... why?.. i have absolutely no idea... maybe some day, i'll find out.. but for now, i'm just glad it's working.

Hi,

I finally found some free time to take a look at this but it appears you have solved your problem. One thing to watch when using a textfield in a movieclip. If any property of that movieclip is manipulated, you will need to embed the font outline for the text to show up. This may or may not be the issue you are dealing with but is something all designers and developers should be aware of.

thanks... though it wasn't an embedded font issue. I use pixel fonts almost always, so i have to embed the fonts and if you want to mask fonts, you need to embed... so at this point, I do it pretty much out of habit...

The problem is/was with depths, both positive and negative.... and ALSO, in the order in which i created the text field and applied the TextFormat... I didn't realize you have to populate the textfield BEFORE applying the TextFormat. I figured once you created the TF, you could apply the TextFormat and populate it after... I'm still having a depth problem with one mc... but at this point, after spending the last 84 hours or so, with two 4 hours naps squeezed in, working on this.. i'm ready to say "Phukkit"...

thx for checking it out though.