A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can i play a .flv off the the clients HDD but my .swf comming from a web server.

Retarded User

Can i play a .flv off the the clients HDD but my .swf comming from a web server.

Hi all.

I have a bandwidth problem and need to send out media content using methods other than the internet.

Sound and video will be sent out via CDROM and should be installed to a location on the HDD.

What i want the user to do is:
    Log on to the website. where the main text content will reside.
    The .swf that they are viewing will load the .flv on their own machine(so high quality video can be viewed on a dial up modem but still have the benifit of keeping text content upto date by being driven from a web site.).

Any help would be awsome.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Not Real since 1985
    Sandboxes will probably prohibit this unless you are able to have your client install some textfile regarding security settings or change security settings of the player.
    The other way should be easier: if a projector file is run from the clients system, MM think your client is smart enough to know what the risks are. Hence a projector file can read both data from your website as well as local data. Did some experiments and it really worked
    Never accept the first 'impossible' unless it comes from a lady.

Retarded User
    Thanks for that.
    It probably makes better sense to access just text and user detials over the web and have the swf sitting on the client machine.

I had that in the back of my mind the whole time but havent really got into flash security issues.

sandboxes? sorry i'm just 3 months new to flash.