A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button Problem

Button Problem

Here is my issue.
    I have a button symbol. In order to animate it, it needs to be placed inside of a movie symbol. Inside the movie symbol after the button fades in, it has a "stop" command on the frame. On that frame, the button itself has:
    on (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(130);
    }

However, i need it to play scene 130 of MY MOVIE, not the button animation movie.

Here is what i tried:
    1. directing it to "gotoAndPlay("Home",130) = where home is the scene name of my movie.
    2. giving the movie itself the rollover command.
    3. giving frame 130 a label, and rollover command gotoaAndPlay label

Im on a deadline to finish this web site for my company. Any help I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you
    Matt

P.S. im using Flash MX
    Last edited by ziffs; 04-13-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffs
    Here is my issue.
    I have a button symbol. In order to animate it, it needs to be placed inside of a movie symbol. Inside the movie symbol after the button fades in, it has a "stop" command on the frame. On that frame, the button itself has:
    on (rollOver) {
    gotoAndPlay(130);
    }

However, i need it to play scene 130 of MY MOVIE, not the button animation movie.

Here is what i tried:
    1. directing it to "gotoAndPlay("Home",130) = where home is the scene name of my movie.
    2. giving the movie itself the rollover command.
    3. giving frame 130 a label, and rollover command gotoaAndPlay label

Im on a deadline to finish this web site for my company. Any help I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you
    Matt

P.S. im using Flash MX
    are you trying to go to frame 130 of the main timeline from the timeline inside the movieclip that has the button in it?

i think you need to target the main timeline with _parent. to jump up one level

for example (if you gave frame 130 of your main timeline the name "thisLabel"):
    Code:
    on(release){
         _parent.gotoAndPlay("thisLabel");
        // or you could probably also use: _parent.gotoAndPlay(130);
        // or: _root.gotoAndPlay("thisLabel");
    }
    hth

i dont have "_parent" or "_root" as a selection, and yes, I am trying to go to from 130 of the MAIN timeline.

I am using the actions toolbar in normal mode. It gives me 3 fields to input.
    Scene:
    Type:
    Frame:

i currently have
    Scene : Home (which is the title of my main timeline scene)
    Type: Frame Number
    Frame: 130

I am currently stuck on this problem as all of my link i want to fade in. If you could please contact me via msn messenger at matt@boydbrothersservice.com i could really use the support, as i am refreashing the forum page every few seconds praying some1 will answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffs
    i dont have "_parent" or "_root" as a selection, and yes, I am trying to go to from 130 of the MAIN timeline.

I am using the actions toolbar in normal mode. It gives me 3 fields to input.
    Scene:
    Type:
    Frame:

i currently have
    Scene : Home (which is the title of my main timeline scene)
    Type: Frame Number
    Frame: 130
    i guess since you're specifically trying to get to frame 130 of the "home" scene, then perhaps the code could be modified as
    Code:
    on(release){
         _root.gotoAndPlay("home", 130);
    }
    but i think that if you just give your frame a label, then you can specify that frame label in your gotoAndPlay action without having to specify your scene name.

the _root. would take you up however many levels there would be to get you from that one movie clip's timeline (the one containing the button) to the main timeline of your movie

however, if you end up using your movie within another container movie, then it may be better to use _parent. for each level you want to jump up to get to the main timeline of your movie.

hth

ps, attached is an example of a button inside a movie clip, where the button is targeting the main timeline
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by green.apple; 04-13-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Thank you ever so much. IT WORKS