A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need help urgently

Need help urgently

I am making a quick intro using swift 3D and some other apps, but I am having trouble with the textures and the animation itself.

The textures (in the zip) are not going onto the pages properly and are showing just lines.

I basically need to have the book fading in, then the globe coming in from the background (whilst spinning) then stopping just above the book (and stop spinning).

I have had trouble doing this, but one other thing I was going to do was import the animation (when finished) into say Swish and then work on the backgrounds and stuff, but when I do the animation has pixelly white areas around it and looks poor quality.

I need to do this as I need to have a mist effect at the begining and some clouds and lightening. Isthis possible in Swift 3D?

I would be grateful for any help, guidance or pointing in the directions of tutorials relevant.

Sorry due to the size being a HUGE 1.5mb I had to upload the file somewhere else, so please click the link here > http://nguest4.depositfiles.com/auth...9089/scene.rar

If that link doesn't work try this one and wait a few seconds then close the little window with adverts that covers the download link > http://depositfiles.com/en/files/30700/scene.rar.html

Thank You!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sulcalibur; 04-25-2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: changing the download link

If you are asking about doing mist and clouds in and with Swift3D, then that would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible. It's just not set up to handle any kind of particle effects.

As for the white areas you are getting around your animations, are you exporting to .SWF? Even at the highest quality setting you still seem to get some of that. Instead, try exporting to sequential .PNG's. It's a little more of a pain, but just make a separate folder for your output and it shouldn't be too hard to keep track of. When you bring it into Flash, just import the first image and Flash will automatically ask you if you want to import the rest of the sequence.

The textures not showing up is a more complex problem that I'm still working on. Here's the gist...it's never going to show up right as the object is set up right now. By that I mean that it's an Extrusion rather than a Mesh Object. What this means is that the object has pre-assigned areas of the model designated as Faces, Edges and Bevels. Your object isn't beveled, so those aren't showing, but they exist nonetheless. So the problem with this is that because of the way the object was drawn and extruded, the edges of the pages are actually currently designated as the Faces and the page itself is part of the Edges group. The problem with this is that the Edges of extrusions are basically a stretched version of the Faces and there is no way to change this.

Normally this wouldn't be the end of it. The solution is to take the Extrusion into the Advanced Modeler (AM), convert it to a Mesh Object, then assign the desired faces to their own Surface Group and then apply the texture. From there you have several choices in regard to how the texture wraps. In this case you would want to use 'Automap Solid Coordinates' as this would apply the texture...ideally...in a straighforward manner. The corners should line up and the texture should follow the contours of the model. Nothing strange or abnormal there...that's the way it should work.

Here's the problem, though...it's just not working that way in your model. And here also is where it gets more difficult to explain what's going on and why. The first thing I found after converting the Extrusion to a Mesh Object was a bit of weirdness at the corners on the outside edges of the pages. The short story is that I had to weld up a number of vertices to avoid some strange overlapping issues. Smoothing and Surface Groups had to be re-assigned to more logically separate the face of the page from the edges and back. At this point the model should have been ready for final application and adjustment of the page texture.

And here is where I have hit a bit of a wall. The texture just doesn't want to wrap correctly. One thing I didn't mention is that I also reset the position and rotation of all the objects before taking them into the AM. Again things get a little hazy because there is some funkyness involved with position and rotation translation between the Scene Editor and the Advanced Modeler that can sometimes really play havok with your models.

To avoid much of this, it's a good idea to keep things as 'normally' aligned as possible while you are creating your models and assigning textures. This means creating your book with the faces of the pages facing either to the front or the top rather than at an angle. This is because textures are applied in the AM by way of a fixed orientation rather than being tied to the orientation of your object. Does that make sense? You can group all the objects as well and apply all your movements and rotations to the single group rather than all the individual objects. If you need to reset your rotation for whatever reason it's a lot easier to do it with only one group.

Ok, so blah blah blah...that's all how it should work. I would be more specific and include actual steps, but it's just not working right and I haven't quite worked out how to fix it yet. The only wrap method that is even close is 'Automap Box Coordinates' and that is creating an undesirable area where the page curls in to meet the other. Basically there is something wrong with the rotational coordinates of the model and it doesn't want to apply the texture correctly.

I'll let you know if I get it working.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Alright, here you go. The extruded ones are still screwed. The solution was to just completely recreate the pages using a box in the AM.

Adjusted .T3D
    mrush

Oh My Gosh!!!

Thank you, your help and words of wisdom lol are much appriciated.

THANK YOU!!!!

One more thing (I'm sorry) is there any tutorials online for some simple motion coming into view animations?

I seem to have problems finding Swift 3D tutorials.

One again, thank you for your time and effort I am very skilled at static images in photoshop but find all this 3D stuff abit confusing. If you need any 2D help though, you know who to ask.

No problem. You can check out www.swiftdev.com. They are an active Swift3D community and while I don't know if you are going to find any tutorials specific to your need, there is a lot of good info to be found in the forums.

As for tutorials that deal with the subject of animations with "simple motion coming into view", I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Do you know what you want to do and just don't know how to accomplish it?
    mrush