A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help!...my sites are taking forever to load!

Help!...my sites are taking forever to load!

Im having trouble creating appropriate loading times. Would appreciate any advice on how to efficiently load an entire flash site.

you can see my problem on both of these sites ... I know its a pain but be patient ..cause the annoying thing is they are actually nice sites.

www.signpost-digital.co.uk
    www.airspiel.com

cheers for any help

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Your right, they do take way too long to load. What are the sizes of the files? Doesn't seem to have all that much content in the actual site to take that amount of time to load.

hmm,
    Last edited by cb_jeep; 09-08-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Flasher
    No, I don't think that anything's wrong with the preloader. Check the library, and delete all un-used files, MC's, graphics, and buttons. Also, all the pictures that you have on that site may be weighing it down a lot. Try reducing the file size, deleting some pictures, or load them externally.

~Sportzguy933

Thanks for the advice guys!

really appreciate the advice.

I had no idea that the amount of unused items in the library would affect load times. It is true that I do have quite a lot of unused items in there, its a bit of a painful task to go through them.

The preloading script I employ is :

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    loading = _parent.getBytesLoaded();
    total = _parent.getBytesTotal();
    percent -= (percent-((loading/total)*100))*.25;
    per = int(percent);
    percentage = per+"%";
    loadBar._width = per;
    if (percent>99) {
    _parent.gotoAndPlay(5);
    }
    }

As far as Im aware the script itself is not to blame, but if you see any flaws I would appreciate you letting me know?

would adding additional preloaders into every single movie clip used for content in the site , make any difference? Would I be right in saying that using one preloader at the start to load the whole site is not the best practise to employ.

Really starting to pick up clients now but the whole confusion I have with getting my sites to load is causing big problems for me. There are far bigger flash sites out there that load much faster than mine. What am I doing wrong?

Again , a big thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

oh and I forgot to say...

the size of the signpost swf is 3.45 MB
    the size of the airspiel swf is 1.86 MB

Also, the loading issue is particulary frustrating because it is giving the people whom I have daily arguments with, over the greatness of doing sites in flash, all the amunition in the world.

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Those file sizes are huge, really much too large for the internet.
    Do you have audio files embeded into the pages?
    When your making your movies you need to be very careful of the amount of junk in the library. It's good practice to remove an item instantly if you decide to not use it.

If you're willing to Email me your files I can get the sizes way down for you. Like I said earlier, I just don't see all that much content going on to cause such a long load time.
    And, no you probably don't need any extra preloaders on your pages. The best preloader is the one you never have to use!

The main thing is to break up the flash site into individual components where you can.

Have smaller movies load into the main one.

That should help considerably, also there is something wrong with your preloader the loading bar does not move

Last edited by cb_jeep; 09-08-2006 at 01:50 PM.

I never use that, just use a 60% jpeg usually does the trick, but agaian its all about splitting you movie into pieces and adding interesting effects to preloaders to keep the viewer interested during load times.