A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PSP 2.7, Flash Applications

PSP 2.7, Flash Applications

I'm wondering if PSP Flash supports sharedObjects? I'll have the firmware installed tonight to check it out. This is a feature I've been waiting for for a long time on the PSP. I think it's the right time to make a propper RSS feed reader, and if sharedObjects are enabled, it would be a sinch to make all sorts of great applications for the PSP. Examples may include: an organizer/date book, advanced image viewers, cooler audio player, etc. I'm actually not concerned about the PSP's ability to play Flash games. I'm more concerned with it's ablity to handle usefull applications. I have an RSS feed reader ready to go. If PSP 2.7 Flash handles sharedObjects, this will be the beginning of a golden age for Flash PSP development.

Anyone out there tried this feature out?

-tutash

some people are reporting problems with sharedobjects, but it is best to throughly test it yourself to find out.

let us know how you make out.

I tried using a sharedObject, it didn't work for me.

anyone iterated through system.capabilities to see if PSP Flash has any mobile specific things like battery level or network connection status (like the PPC Flash 6 had)?

psp has flash 6, i have tried shared objects and they did not work for me

A possible work around for shared objects would be to use getURL(javascript) to pass a value from Flash to browser javascript to be stored in browser cookie. I believe I read about someone successfully testing getURL with javascript on PSP.

When the page loads use JS to read the cookie and append its value as a name value pair on the SWF url.

// print cookie as value to swf url
    src="urlto.swf?vartopass=[browser cookie value here]"

Folks used this technique with Flash 5 PPC, though I am not sure if this would work on PSP.

I've read that PSP browser does not set cookies for offline web pages, only online web pages, but perhaps they add this with v2.7 update.

hp3 could you post an example

You can also use ASP or PHP to store a cookie in this way.

php you need a server you cannot save locally

Quote Originally Posted by hp3
    A possible work around for shared objects would be to use getURL(javascript) to pass a value from Flash to browser javascript to be stored in browser cookie. I believe I read about someone successfully testing getURL with javascript on PSP.

When the page loads use JS to read the cookie and append its value as a name value pair on the SWF url.

// print cookie as value to swf url
    src="urlto.swf?vartopass=[browser cookie value here]"

Folks used this technique with Flash 5 PPC, though I am not sure if this would work on PSP.

I've read that PSP browser does not set cookies for offline web pages, only online web pages, but perhaps they add this with v2.7 update.

The problem (atleast im having) is the fact that I cannot successfully get JS to write flash offline.

Has anyone tried launching a shared object from flash within a webpage. Like open an html on your PSP, I iwll try this later on today if I have time

deadlock32, are you saying that using javascript to print the object tags does not seem to launch the flash player when veiwing off line?

or that you cannot read the browser cookie offline?

I havent been able to successfully have JS write a SWF offline.

Stuff to understand offline:
    - Absolute file name needed (file:/psp/yourfolder)
    - No server control
    - Query Strings seems to throw page cannot be displayed error
    - Any pictures, data, and sounds stay in the psp memory even after they are unloaded, will leads to memory errors. (happens online tool)

mikeee
    can the psp show the battery level while in the web browser
    mikeee324