A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Path to flv for CD's

Hybrid View

Path to flv for CD's

Hi All

I am not too sure how to write a path to a movie for use in a projector file that I deliver on CD. I normally embed but that way I have to create my own player buttons etc and cannot use the flv player component.

Can anybody help get me started?

Cheers

relative paths to projector would work if the projector is on the cd as well..
    if the movie is in a folder named movies and the projector files is on top of folder movies.....
    movies/movie
    if in same folder just movie

Quote Originally Posted by Rohm
    relative paths to projector would work if the projector is on the cd as well..
    if the movie is in a folder named movies and the projector files is on top of folder movies.....
    movies/movie
    if in same folder just movie
    Cheers for that, all sorted

Just did some tests of the new F8 FLVPlayer component yesterday, on a CD. Before, there was no preloading or streaming, per se, from a CD. When you launched a flv to play, the CD had to spin up and the complete file had to transfer to RAM before it would play. For 40Mb files and up, this could take anywhere from 20 seconds to over a minute.

However, the new flv player plays them almost immediately. Not sure why or how it gets around the loading part, but it works fine. The file was a 69Mb flv made with the new encoder and burned to the root of the CD along with the swf that contained the player and using a relative path.

After clearing out my temp files, it took about 3 seconds to start playing and played without interruption. However, if you grab the seek arrow in the controller and move it to the right, you can see the flv was still loading, and it would take time to catch up, then continue playing.

Just thought that was worth a post. I know some people are going to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Just did some tests of the new F8 FLVPlayer component yesterday, on a CD. Before, there was no preloading or streaming, per se, from a CD. When you launched a flv to play, the CD had to spin up and the complete file had to transfer to RAM before it would play. For 40Mb files and up, this could take anywhere from 20 seconds to over a minute.

However, the new flv player plays them almost immediately. Not sure why or how it gets around the loading part, but it works fine. The file was a 69Mb flv made with the new encoder and burned to the root of the CD along with the swf that contained the player and using a relative path.

After clearing out my temp files, it took about 3 seconds to start playing and played without interruption. However, if you grab the seek arrow in the controller and move it to the right, you can see the flv was still loading, and it would take time to catch up, then continue playing.

Just thought that was worth a post. I know some people are going to be happy.
    A great piece of advice. Just working on a CD with over 50 movies and so far things are working well. Most movies are around the 12Mb size. This is the first time I have used the player component which I have modified a tad to suit the layout and I must say I am impressed. Looking forward to a project with even more movies and maybe even a large opening movie

Cheers

Mr. Geezer...that bit of news certainly made me happy. In the past, I have made quite a few Flash video CD presentations(along with Director), but not lately. I was looking forward to using Flash 8 in a couple of upcoming CD presentations....your news has made the prospect seem even brighter.

I haven't tried this on a Mac yet. But I've cleared my temps and even rebooted several times to test it again, and it works as advertised on a PC.

If anyone has a Mac and could give it a try, I'd like to hear the results.

I am on a Mac and I make cross platform CD,s and it all works fine.

Great.

No reasone why it shouldn't, but it's good to know.