A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who killed the electric car?

I see something wrong with that picture right away. Its not accurate.

We've already been through this. People are making more, not less.

The housing market has turned some but I wouldnt call it a burst. After the last few years impossible gains in real estate, a sudden windfall would look like a burst.

Some people can't pay their mortgages because they've reached the end of their interest only terms and havent paid any principal. Whose fault is that? Millions of americans dont have insurance. But, they have vcrs, xboxes, $150 Nikes and DVD collections. Whose fault is that?

I wouldnt argue about foreign trade agreements. Thats been a mixed bag and mostly to our detriment.

The country is in debt because of the opposite of what you said, people are willing to continue lending and investing in us because they believe we will continue to produce and will not fail. That has long proven true.

hehe indivisions new title should be "corporate lackey"

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PRIMATES
    electric vehicles have fewer working parts that the average combustion fueled vehicle. The drive train is slimmed down, there is no exhaust system(including the high priced catalytic converter), no fuel or combustion engine parts at all. Those parts alone are a multi-billion dollar industry.
    asside from teh catalytic converter the average ice can go atleast 150,000 miles if it is maintained propertly. How long does a electric motor last? what about those batteries?

Film is just as viable for usable information as are books. I agree though, just like any information, never rely on on source for information.
    No it isn't. A movie is greatly inferior to books.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

How long does a electric motor last?
    How much cheaper would it be to replace, or rebuild? How much easier? And given the time it took to develop an ICE that did last 150K miles, electrics with that kind of service life ought to take way less, since electric motors have been around longer than the ICE.

Would be nice to know the figures though, if there are any yet.

well to be honest I've seen well loved diesels up near the million mark. Of course the head was massaged a few times but that is pretty cheap.

I bet the electric motor isn't all that expensive, it's the batteries that will probably kill you.
    Last edited by TallGuyLittleCar; 08-14-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I bet the electric motor isn't all that expensive, it's the batteries that will probably kill you.
    If you think about it that's potentially a once a year service, at what $2k? I'm just basing that off li-ion batteries for laptops but how far off base is that? That's a lot of money to shell out every year.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

I drove for a company, then bought the White tractor I drove after 2 years. It had a million 400K on a 220 Cummins and was still running fine when I sold it 2 years later.

But, that was a road truck. Very little start and stop on it, just run all day and all night at 1900rpm. A lot different than the family beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer

But, that was a road truck. Very little start and stop on it, just run all day and all night at 1900rpm. A lot different than the family beater.
    I know the old benz and maxima diesels could go a very long distance

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    I always wondered if you convert one of those old masda rotary engines to BioDiesel.
    Those old rotarys were amazing. If you siezed the engine, you just filled it with oil and rocked it back and forth a few times to get it running again.

3P

Last edited by Ask The Geezer; 08-14-2006 at 01:53 PM.

I always wondered if you convert one of those old masda rotary engines to BioDiesel.
    You need a compression ratio of about 18 to 1 for a diesel. At that compression ratio I think you can kiss yoru apex seals goodbye and the engine may decide to take a trip a few feet away from the car.

I'm sure ethanol would work o.k. though.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    Probably wishful thinking on my part.
    hahahahahahaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    The question is... who killed the electric slide?
    I meant this one... oops!

hahahahahaha

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    You need a compression ratio of about 18 to 1 for a diesel. At that compression ratio I think you can kiss yoru apex seals goodbye and the engine may decide to take a trip a few feet away from the car.

I'm sure ethanol would work o.k. though.
    LOL, that wouldnt be good would it. It would be kind of like the experiment I did when I was about 13 using a high torgue car starter, a deep cycle battery and my bicycle. I only had a single speed bike and you had to get going really fast before you activated the starter. Then you had better take your feet off the pedals. It worked a few times and then ate itself and the starter lauched through the rear spokes. Not real fun crashing at about 30 MPH with a deep cycle battery attached to to your bike. Hehe, live and learn.

3P

Hehe, live and learn.
    Or die trying.

LOL, that wouldnt be good would it. It would be kind of like the experiment I did when I was about 13 using a high torgue car starter, a deep cycle battery and my bicycle. I only had a single speed bike and you had to get going really fast before you activated the starter. Then you had better take your feet off the pedals. It worked a few times and then ate itself and the starter lauched through the rear spokes. Not real fun crashing at about 30 MPH with a deep cycle battery attached to to your bike. Hehe, live and learn.

3P
    he the wright brothers crashed a few times before they took off. A starter motor is only made to work for a few minute at the most. I wonder how a motor from an cordless power saw would work.

I remember an article about one of the first electric car experimenters. He used the starter motor from a jet engine. I guess it could keep going, cause once it spooled up the jet and it caught, it stayed inline for use as the generator. It did have fins on the case though, for cooling.

I think the starters for the sr-71 were a pair of 454s