A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who killed the electric car?

Who killed the electric car?

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar

Some cool facts and figures!

Awaits a good olding...

just by four days as far as I read it on autoblog... but not here from what I've seen.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I haven't seen it before.

But what's the problem here? Why are there not many more electric cars available yet? So they have a shorter range, so what? Isn't most driving done within 40 miles of home anyway?

Gawd, I can't believe the rampant stupidity of the auto manufacturing industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Gawd, I can't believe the rampant stupidity of the auto manufacturing industry.
    Dude, seriously don't get me started about Detroit and their foibles. I could rant for a ****ing week, easily.

The auto industry is full of jackasses that think about how to quickly put a dollar in their hand now and not worry about what's going to happen down the road... they're too reliant on their "history" and "badge loyalty"... which is something that Japan, Germany, UK, Korea, and (now soon) China will capitalize on.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I mean, here we've lost our once huge lead in producing cars for everyone, good cars too, for the day. We've lost it because of thriftier nations building little **** boxes that our own government gave tax shelters to to import. Now we have a perfect chance to bring it back home with the electric cars and our scientific breakthrough production abilities, and we're just stepping on our own willies, once again.

Sad.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    some small cottage industries are building electric cars. They are pretty expensive though.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The question is... who killed the electric slide?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

I don't think the problem is with the rolling stock. It's the lagging development of batteries to run them. We certainly have the abilitiy to conquer that problem in short order, but we don't seem to be doing anything about it. All the breakthroughs seem to be coming from Switzerland, Iceland and places about the size of a pimple. Not the good old....

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    I was at a wedding last year, and i observed the electric slide to be alive and well.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I was at a wedding last year, and i observed the electric slide to be alive and well.
    Probably wishful thinking on my part.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    I used to rock it in roller skates. I don't think that killed it, just put it in a deep coma.

I don't think the problem is with the rolling stock. It's the lagging development of batteries to run them.
    Last I heard there have been some big advances in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells. Goes right from solid to gas so it's not volitile or something.

I don't think the problem is with the rolling stock. It's the lagging development of batteries to run them. We certainly have the abilitiy to conquer that problem in short order, but we don't seem to be doing anything about it. All the breakthroughs seem to be coming from Switzerland, Iceland and places about the size of a pimple. Not the good old....
    Hehehe... theres an electric car thats powered by something stupid like 2,000 laptop batteries

They are small and light, charge quickly, but there must be an easier battery solution!

What ever it turns out to be, it should be compatible with different cars. Sort of like spark plugs or tires. One size fits all. My complaint is that the US isn't doing what it should to get on top of this.

I blame that on the money people wanting to squeeze every last cent out of the oil industry. They would go into second or third place if cars became available that ran on electricity. On the other hand, where are the other people with money who aren't scared or bought off by the oil companies?

theres an electric car thats powered by something stupid like 2,000 laptop batteries
    Weren't you the one who posted the pic of the old chevy with a ton of electric drill batteries in the trunk?

same people that killed the railroads, monorails, subways, hydrogen cars etc....

It's all about money. Nothing new here.

Until recently, it was all about the bite the oil companies had on the asses of congress. That seems to be changing fast.

Saw tonight that 20% of the share holders of exxonmobile stock voted against the big money giveaways to the CEO's today. I think they see the flyswatter coming.

What ever it turns out to be, it should be compatible with different cars. Sort of like spark plugs or tires. One size fits all. My complaint is that the US isn't doing what it should to get on top of this.

I blame that on the money people wanting to squeeze every last cent out of the oil industry. They would go into second or third place if cars became available that ran on electricity. On the other hand, where are the other people with money who aren't scared or bought off by the oil companies?

Weren't you the one who posted the pic of the old chevy with a ton of electric drill batteries in the trunk?
    Hahahaha quite possibly

What's so frustrating is the technology is all there. I mean, all we have to do it put the parts together, and we need "Detroit" for that. What could it take? Six months, a year maybe, to get the battery industry up to speed. Less to get the assembly line ready to spit out one car a minute. Shade tree mechanics converting old fords and chevy's aren't enough. We need the industrial capabilities of a nation to do it. And we already have that base here. We could all be driving electrics in a year with what we have now, and the battery technology would soon catch up.

it's pretty much too late to do anything...the time to act was about 20 years ago. now, we are going to be trying to solve the energy crisis while fighting over what oil is left. we should have been building a nuclear infrastructure to support an electric future...now we will not be able to do that because oil declines will make fossil fuel-based construction efforts near impossible. not to mention fending off rapid climate change and nasty germs.

you can't build BILLIONS of batteries without oil.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...ong_emergency/

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book