A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: script vs. tween

script vs. tween

Hullo, thanks in advance for your help.

I've often been wondering about the actual difference between scripted motion and motion tween. Does scripted motion feature any major advantages or is it just more complex?

aut.

Scripted ones are smaller than Actual tweens, for as you know a tween is bigger than 100 bytes.
    And also scripted ones could be controlled more easily but then Actual Tweens could be more flexible and more archievable.
    At a glance Actual Tweens are more recommended for newbs and the other otherwise.

When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

The day I found this was the last time I ever used a manual tween (except for when I need to sync to a sound)

http://laco.wz.cz/tween/

The same script is included with this tool which can make sequences as easy as working with an array.
    http://www.mosessupposes.com/Fuse/index.html

will i ever get it?
    im gonna dig this out from the old past....does a motion tween need more kbs, vs a scripted tween??

on the subject of scripted tweens how do you do that i know how to move something anyway i just dont know how to make it stop, say, for 20 frames

Quote Originally Posted by mlecho
    im gonna dig this out from the old past....does a motion tween need more kbs, vs a scripted tween??
    You're asking about filesize vs playback. A motion (timeline) tween increases the filesize because each frame is pre-rendered into the .swf.

A scripted tween utilizes the users system to run the calculations in real time. The file is smaller, but playback is dependent on the capabilities of the flash player + the users system.

Both have their benefits.

To answer your question, motion tween requires more.

ok thx i think ill stick to literal tweens it sounds simpler

http://pat.theorigin.net cresquin's Avatar
    the real benefit to scripted tweens is that they can be dynamic. You can have things tween based on variables taht can be different every time the tween script is run. Scripted tweens provide the possibility of having infinite variations on a tween with a very small file size.

hmm, that is pretty useful i guess both of them have their strenghts and weaknesses