A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Studio Max to Flash

3D Studio Max to Flash

Does anyone know how I can import a 3D Object from 3D Studo Max into Flash and be able to animate this and make it interactive etc...

I am wanting to do something very simular to this website: www.r1design.com.au

Am I correct in assuming that you don't actually have 3D Studio Max?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I do have 3D Studio Max and am aware that I can render an animation in a SWF Format. But was wondering if I could save just the model itself like an *.obj type file and be able to import this directly into Flash or does this not support this and I will need to look at a program like 'Swift 3D' ?

No, you can't import .obj, .dxf, .3ds or pretty much any other 3D format into Flash. For the most part you are restricted to various image, animation, sound and movie formats. The one exception to that (kind of) would be Swift3D Xpress which lets you do some extremely cool things inside the Flash environment, but it's somewhat limited in scope.

If you want to be a little more specific in describing exactly what you want to do I would be able to provide you with a more specific answer. I guess I'm curious as to why you might want Swift3D if you already have max and the capability to render to .swf.
    mrush

This is mainly for file size...

If I render anything with Max the file size is very high to obviously keep the quality of the render very high. If I try to reduce the size of the render within max it then starts the harm the quality which is something I wanted to avoid.

The website I originally posted the entire model was done in 3D Studio Max and then some how imported into Flash to make the website and as you can see the quality is very high and the SWF file is very small. I wasn't sure how they did this and was asking if Flash had an option to import 3D Models as I could not find any options.

Was just curious and I think I answered my own question as I discovered Swift 3D after posting my original question.

If you already have 3dsmax then I would highly recommend getting the Swift3D plugin for max instead of the standalone. The vector rendering engine is the same and you can do things with the 3dsmax/plugin combo that you can't with the standalone. Among other things, mesh deformation isn't supported in the standalone.

So the only reason I can think of to get the standalone over the plugin version for 3dsmax would be if you have not yet taken the time to learn all the ins and outs of 3dsmax and don't want to. The Swift3d standalone is a much easier program to learn than 3dsmax is, so that might be a motivation, but otherwise you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by getting the standalone over the plugin if you already have and know how to use 3dsmax. The file size of your rendered animation isn't going to get any smaller with the standalone. It looks like the guy who made that site with the fly-thru and the train just didn't use a whole lot of extra geometry and basically just kept everything clean and simple.

Does that make sense?
    mrush

Yeah this does make sense... thanks again !