A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Blender to Swift 3D

Blender to Swift 3D

I just got myself a copy of swift 3D! It looks very daunting... I don't want to relearn 3D!!! . I was hoping it'd look something like Blender, well it doesn't come close. Would it be possible for me to do my animations in blender, import them in swift, and then I could make my 3D interactive flash programs?

Dont know about Blender but Swift3d is the easiest 3D program i have ever laid my hands on. if you decide to learn Swift3D i can definately guide you with the basics of it.

edit:: does this help?
    Last edited by Jujumon; 06-04-2006 at 06:47 AM.

What you want to do will work if you can export to .3DS and don't have any mesh deformations.

And no Jujumon, they are both actually talking about Blender.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

?? if Blender has a plugin that can render its animations straight to .swf then why go through Swift again?? or am i missing something?

edit:: unless he's got different version of Blender then yea ,export objects to Swift, in anycase he still has to learn to use Swift to animate, no?
    Last edited by Jujumon; 06-04-2006 at 01:07 PM.

sflender. It renders out to *.swf from Blender.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

- Why would I need swift to animate? Blender has beautiful animation! A time line, armature for easy animation of models, everything.

- Swf from blender? What if I wanted to make a 3D swf game. Straight from blender to swf would be impossible... Because the only way you can make games on blender that I know of is throught python. Flash uses AS.

- RUSHVision: I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. Blender supports 3DS, but my problem is Swift only seems to support autocad (UGHHHHH!!!!!!) and swift looks too scary to be a good 3d program. (this was only from first glance.. but I couldn't rotate my view!!!!)

Jujumon: Trust me, Blender is PRETTY easy. Several hours of the noob 2 pro wikibooks course and you are already starting animating.

Alright I think I've said everything. Thanks guys!

Within Swift3D, New from *.3ds. You can also use *.dxf too - which is indeed AutoCAD derived files - use mesh type, not polyline and arcs type though if you use that filetype which, like *.eps, *.dxf has multiple variations within that standard.

You seriously need to check what I was talking about... it allows you to render directly from Blender to a *.swf. That way, no file exports to worry about - *.3ds is limited in file node count of 64k or so IIRC. The Python that Blender uses is for the application and animation data only. ActionScript is for within Flash or other apps that support it, like KoolMoves. Even within Swift3D, there's no AS. And rendered output can have AS applied to the *.swf, but not to the 3D object like you're used to within Blender via Python.

Hope that made sense.

Anyway, look for s2flender (sflender) and render directly from within Blender. I use 3ds max mostly and I use the Swift3D 3ds max plugin to directly render from within 3ds max... but that's not an option for Blender. That's what sflender does for you... affords you that type of rendering.

Edit: No, wait, I'm sorry, I was thinking of something else.

The script version of s2flender I have doesn't take depth-of-field into account. No matter what I do, the output image is always orthographic. Also, Swift 3D has more options for drawing outlines, especially the newer versions.

I'd prefer to use Blender for modelling and animation and Swift3D for output, if that's possible. Let each tool do what it's best at.
    Last edited by WarpZone; 03-27-2008 at 04:48 AM.

Wow, this thread is two years old. Are you seeking an answer or providing one? Your edit makes things confusing.

I have been wishing forever for an option where blender could export it's animations into .swf. Seriously, is there a solution to this?