A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cinema 4D to Swift 3D

Cinema 4D to Swift 3D

I am trying to get my model from Cinema 4D over to Swift 3D. Probelm is the file must me really large or complex. It crashes Swift 3D or make sit very slow.

My question is what's the best solution? I exported as .3ds and then imported to Swift 3D. Sis thee anything I can do when I export to trim it down. Anything to make the process smoother?

try fewer polys perhaps.

....but C4D can export .swf as well though, so why Swift?

Thanks but since I have already created the model fewer polygons isn't an option.

As for using Swift 3D. It has better vector rendering than C4D since that is what its made for.

So what exactly is in the scene you are trying to import? Is it just a really complex model, or what? Do you know how many polys are in the scene?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I'm not sure how many. Is there a way to find out? I guess it is pretty complex. I did not design it knowing I wanted to import it into Swift 3D. It is a car model. I made a simple shape with very few polygos and was able to import that with no probelm. I was just curious if there were anything to avoid when I create any new models so that when I import them they are smaller. No textures? No color? ect. Also is .3ds the best way to import?

Yes, I would say .3DS is the best format to use. As for making your files smaller and thus easier to import into Swift3D, you just need to keep your poly count down. It's pretty much that simple. Textures can bloat your file size, but import problems are far more likely caused by excessive geometry. And I don't use C4D, but yeah, I'm sure there is a way to find out how many polys are present in the scene.
    mrush

^ agrees 100% with Rush.

However, you seriously might want to check out Toon & Sketch plug-in for Cinema4D for *.swf render(s) from within Cinema4D directly to *.swf.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I actually repsonded to your request on another forum but you didn't reply

Cinema 4D to Swift 3D

Sorry to mention another forum here (happy to retype here if required).

The character imported fine so you may wish to compare poly counts with your car. If you have some form of animation for your object Cinema 4D file it will likely crash with larger models from what I have encounted.

To see the number of polygons in your object do the following:

In your perspective viewport click Edit>Configure then in the Attributes Manager select the HUD tab and make sure you tick the "Total Polygons" checkbox. You will now see a small transparent window in your viewport with the number of polygons.
    Last edited by artzfx; 06-13-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Share the wealth... I'd love for our members to have access to your answer as well.

Hi gerbick.. here ya go...

Below is an image of the zygote man that comes packaged with C4D. I exported as .3ds from C4D and then opened in Swift 3D and rendered as vector.

This next link is a animated cube from C4D exported to .fbx 6 then converted to .3ds then opened in Swift 3D and rendered as vector swf. C4D Animated Cube imported to Swift 3D

Reason for the fbx export is because C4D won't export animations direct to .3ds format.

You can only import frame by frame animations into Swift 3D no mesh deformations, hence you can't animate the zygote man and import to Swift 3D.

Hope this helps.

Thank you kindly. No problem to linking to where the answers were at; however I've seen this come up a few more times lately than not, and not being able to directly answer the question(s) pertaining Cinema4D is a concern of mine. I'm a 3ds max/plasma/swift3D/blender/pixels3D user... among other programs past and present.

So thank you artzfx.

mrush

Hey Rush, good to see you floating around the boards again.

Hiya Neil.
    mrush