A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: You know the drill: DC

You know the drill: DC

My sisters husband has been accepted to SUNY in NY to get his PH.D as of right now he works in a branch of the pentagon and they will be moving back up around here in august so this is my last chance to go down to DC and have a free place to stay. I will be hitting up all the usual things to do in the DC area(already got a tour around the pentagon) but do any of you know some small little places to check out that are a little off the beaten path? odd ball shops or anything?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

when you're in the outskirts of DC (around the convention center), do not and i seriously say DO NOT go down any side streets you're not aware of on foot. I was there for a conference, and i walked no more than 2 blocks away from my hotel to grab a six pack, in the day time, and i'm not exagerating when i say i thought i was going to be skinned alive. When i was walking back with my six pack (in a brown bag), i saw a group coming towards me and then they started yelling, "Get the F*** out of here whitey" along with many other racists things. I was never so scared in my entire life.

Yeah I hear there are some parts of DC that are like...you walk there you get killed. Sounds exciting. haha.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Well, unless Georgetown has really changed, it ought to be full of neat little shops.

Thanks I will look into it. My guy friend that is going with me is obsessed about going down into Chinatown. I can't think of anything special there so I will probably just let him drag his girlfriend around down there and me and my lady friend will go elsewhere.

Stay in NW, west of Rock Creek park.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    when you're in the outskirts of DC (around the convention center), do not and i seriously say DO NOT go down any side streets you're not aware of on foot. I was there for a conference, and i walked no more than 2 blocks away from my hotel to grab a six pack, in the day time, and i'm not exagerating when i say i thought i was going to be skinned alive. When i was walking back with my six pack (in a brown bag), i saw a group coming towards me and then they started yelling, "Get the F*** out of here whitey" along with many other racists things. I was never so scared in my entire life.
    I live 2 blocks away from the convention center (sorry if I scared you, whitey =^_^=)

Chinatown is a joke - it's only 3 blocks long and has 2 or three shops that are actually in any way Chinese.

If you like the blues at all, try checking out a little spot in g-town called (ironically enough) Blues Alley. My favorite live-music spot got shut down a few years ago, by the alley has a great rep.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Thanks I am definitely looking for some night life stuff to do. I don't wanna spend all day going to the stereotypical spots and then just sit in my sisters apartment at night.

the way it looks... I'll be in DC/Baltimore this weekend too... as far as places, dunno... I tend to go all over.

Don't depend on Visionray for a callback either... dude owes me a phone call back from '97 or something.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

You will be there this weekend too? business? are you a nomad?

pretty much a nomad now. wondering the world over much like Dr. David Banner... but I'm looking for new contracts to replace my dead ones. He was trying to supress his "Hulk tendencies"...

*rowr*

So do you not really have a "home" like a place to go back too? you just travel around with all your stuff? I always pictured you in some decent apartment wired from floor to ceiling with gadgets

Come on, everyone knows Gerbs travels, on call, with the Sparkmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    So do you not really have a "home" like a place to go back too? you just travel around with all your stuff? I always pictured you in some decent apartment wired from floor to ceiling with gadgets
    the apartment is gone, now a house. yeah, it still is "connected", et al, but at the same time I have to travel to find new work, it seems. Upper-state SC is devoid of technical jobs... other than janitorial work it seems.

And I've actually dropped a lot of gadgets. Not too many left... what couldn't be updated, got dropped.

I vaguely remember DC when I went there with my parents... sadly they're tourists, not travellers, so we got to do the touristy things. The cherry blossoms were gorgeous, but I dont think that's this time of year.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Leaving tomorrow, can't wait to get out of here for a little while. It is like I do the same thing everyday here BLEH. Too bad I have a lot of bills piling up so this is probably the only trip type thing I will be doing all summer...

look into adams morgan if you want some cool shops, 101 kinds of different food and nightlife. chinatown is pretty monied now, so adams morgan is more dive-barish (of course you can find some sweet lounges and clubs there too).

sculpture garden has some cool stuff and is never swamped like the the air & space musuem. corcoran gallery and phillips gallery are both around a lot of stuff to do before and after.

cleaveland park also has some cool places to grab a drink and is a little more northwest of everything.

also check out old town alexandria if you're already in the commonwealth. you'll find a ton of stuff going on over there.

gerb--what kind of work you into now? PM me with an update man--been a while...