A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XSL sort and filter

XSL sort and filter

This doesn't have to do with Flash, but as a Flash programmer I know that I can trust the readers of this forum to have excellent knowledge of more than just Flash. My question is with XSL:

I have a bunch of news stories in XML that store the news story and the date of the story (in 20060614 format) so that I can sort by date. I have everything set up, and in ASP I make my call to parse the XML through the XSL, which returns my results in a nice little table. Everything is fine. However, I don't want my table to keep growing as new news articles are posted to the XML. I only want to display the two most recent articles. So basically I need a way to display only the first two records in a decending sort. I tried adding an XSL:if statement but it doesn't seem to like it, I get an error. Here is what errored:

<xsl:if test="position() < 2">
    </xsl:if>

Code that works, but doesn't filter just first two results:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
    <xsl:template match="/">
    <html>
    <body>
    <table border="0" width="310">
    <xsl:for-each select="news/article">
    <xsl:sort select="datesort" order="descending" />
    xsl:if statement from above was here
    <tr>
    <td valign="top" width="35" style="border-right: 1px solid #cccccc; padding-right: 10px"><b><font size="1" face="Verdana" color="#616161"><xsl:value-of select="datefamiliar"/></font></b></td>
    <td width="5"></td>
    <td><font size="1" face="Verdana" color="#616161"><xsl:value-of select="first240"/><a href="sort.asp">more...</a></font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="6"><td colspan="5"></td></tr>
    <tr height="1" bgcolor="#e9eaec">
    <td colspan="3"></td>

</tr>
    <tr height="6"><td colspan="3 "></td></tr>
    /xsl:if statement was here
    </xsl:for-each>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>
    </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

I appreciate any help you can give.

Update:

I found that the xsl:if is the correct way to do this. However, it does not seem to like having a conditional on position that has a < sign. If I use = or >, it works fine. So, in order to make it work for both the first and second result, I created two xsl:if statements, one after the other, that look to see if position=1 or position=2 . I don't know why it errors out if I use the < symbol though, very odd.