A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RUSHVision vs. JWIN :: Flights of Fantasy

Banned
    Wow usually on forums when you ask something like I did the person replies like - Go look it up on Google search aha, I was kind of expecting that!

Really really appreciated you running through that - Ok now my totally last request, would you mind sending me the picture of the girl and butterfly please? I want to try it myself!

Also when you guys look for "free" pics to make graphics where do you go, usually I just search on Google Images

Quote Originally Posted by funkedup
    Also when you guys look for "free" pics to make graphics where do you go, usually I just search on Google Images
    stock.xchng

girl
    butterfly

But definitely go sign up at the stock exchange (www.sxc.hu). It's a great resource and you wont have any copyright issues.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Quote Originally Posted by Zacaboo288
    Not to steal your thunder but if you are ****e with the mouse and/or don't feel like tracing the entire contour, you can duplicate the butterfly, drop it to grayscale, up the contrast to get a completely white bg, completely black butterfly. Then inverse the image to get a white butterfly on a black bg. Copy entire image to a new alpha channel. Ctrl-click alpha channel to get a masked selection, go back to the original butterfly, add a new layer mask with the selection still intact and there you go. More steps but considerably much less time. To each his own.
    it's much easier to duplicate one of the channels in the channel pallette, then adjust levels, ctrl-click channel layer, inverse selection....regular layer -> mask. Anything with a white background will give you your masked object in no more than 3 minutes.

edit: just did a test with the butterfly...masked object in no more than 15 seconds.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 11-19-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    it's much easier to duplicate one of the channels in the channel pallette, then adjust levels, ctrl-click channel layer, inverse selection....regular layer -> mask. Anything with a white background will give you your masked object in no more than 3 minutes.

edit: just did a test with the butterfly...masked object in no more than 15 seconds.
    Yesch, I left my box of trinkets in another forum could you possibly accept a cookie instead?

Yesch, I left my box of trinkets in another forum could you possibly accept a cookie instead?
    no cookie, i'd rather have you get an image up for the 4 way battle that's in progress

Not to steal your thunder but if you are ****e with the mouse and/or don't feel like tracing the entire contour, you can duplicate the butterfly, drop it to grayscale, up the contrast to get a completely white bg, completely black butterfly. Then inverse the image to get a white butterfly on a black bg. Copy entire image to a new alpha channel. Ctrl-click alpha channel to get a masked selection, go back to the original butterfly, add a new layer mask with the selection still intact and there you go. More steps but considerably much less time. To each his own.
    If you want a clean mask the pen tool is your best option. Zacaboo the way you describe it above works for the quick and dirty route but it will cause some mad pixelation on the edges, just like a mask created by using the magic wand tool. That image would be a cinch to pen tool trace. Guess it depends on the quality wanted.

Great battle guys Love your last volley JWin.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

lefteye: haha good call mate. i'm working on it <3

pea: well my point is that there are alternatives to the pen tool if you simply can't stand it, like me. i believe that every artist is different and does not only create a final product that is unique to his identity, but creates a method that is equally as unique. hell, every friend i've talked to personally about the matter explains how they work differently with photoshop than i do. i just think it's only fair that anyone who might be interested know about all of the things you can do with the medium and then judge for themselves what works best for them. like i said i don't intend to replace your method with some other way of basically doing the same thing, but it's an option. to each his own. peace.

Wow! I am replying late to this. I hear you 100 was to skin a cat. The pen tool is crisper but not always the way to go. I use all sorts of different was to mask things out. Sorry if I came of as "My way is better than yours." It was not my intention.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Haha, not at all. Much connotation is lost over the internet so I try my best to assume people mean well and when all is said and done, I'm usually correct. I also have a habit of explaining myself excessively to compensate for the lack of tonality in these bland pixelated messages and- whoops, there I go again. :P

Haha, not at all. Much connotation is lost over the internet so I try my best to assume people mean well and when all is said and done, I'm usually correct. I also have a habit of explaining myself excessively to compensate for the lack of tonality in these bland pixelated messages and- whoops, there I go again. :P
    Amen. The spoken work accounts for what, 7% of communication?