A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RUSHVision vs. JWIN :: Flights of Fantasy

Gah this week was the least creative I think I've ever felt but thank god for Fridays.

Here ya go!

I meant to ask you, were the ice cubes a 3d render or a photo? Either way I liked the way they turned out.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Cool stuff, JWin! Understated, but impactful. A nice finish to an entertaining battle. Thanks for taking me on, dude.

That cube came from some sxu stock. It's the same one for both the girl and the bird.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

This comment is so juvenile but... that just looks wrong.
    *chuckle*

I wasn't going to say anything...but yeah, I noticed that too
    mrush

its part of her shirt you freaks! Thanks Rush, this was good for me, learned a few new tricks in this battle.

-From a work for hire ad

Shuuuuure J

Nice return Jwin. I love the blending on the girl and the wings. I really think you hit it off with the slight shadow from the girl showing on her wings behind her. That really adds some depth. One very slight nitpick about that is that she has a shadow on the ground going at about a 45 degree angle to the NE. If you look at the shadow coming off of her arms and body onto the wings, its at a straight on, or N angle.

Again, that is a really small nitpick, and overall this image is a nice one .

Hey Rush, if you guys are done this battle, I'd be happy to take you on if you're up for it.

Just having a little fun with you, JWin!

DaVulf ~
    Sure, dude. I'd be willing to commit to three volleys. I'll leave the decision of who you want to start up to you. It doesn't matter to me, but whoever does gets to set the theme (if any) and the rules. Sound good?
    mrush

Rush, works for me. You want to go ahead and give a start since I know you're much better at coming up with a theme and such.

I have to work on my Ct volley now .

Alright, give me a few days and I'll see what I can come up with.
    mrush

Sounds good Rush, I'm looking forward to this .

JWin... mind if I step in and critique?

You're pulling out some pretty damn good images dude against Rush... he's bringing out your best. But that's to be expected, he's also very talented.

Now... that last image, I'd suggest a couple of things slightly different. I'm a fan of the layout - it follows the typical "Z" layout where your eyes start in one corner (for us left to right reading cultures, it'll be in the upper left corner for the start, lower right for the finish) - and the text while bold and contrasting against the image doesn't destroy it, nor outweigh it. But it could still be laid out a bit in a more elegant fashion. And you could have actually slipped it to the clearing in the middle and dropped the spacing and ended up with a three line text block instead of a two line block. But... the slight glow adds to the ephemeral look of the image as well.

The "She will guide you" could have been handled a bit better, imho. Just a different font choice, even Humanist521 or PT Bliss would have been a good choice due to their weighted nature and would emulate her thigh to ankle proportions... mmm, sexay legs.

The dead/winter forest looks great, but with the darkened corners, it looks more like a Lomo Holga photo where the corners invariably got dark to the nature of the lenses and creates a focus in the middle... but it looks more like a slight tunnel vision effect here. The tops of the trees have a lot of detail, but it's almost ignored. Heck, the more I think about it, keep the text where you have it... and hide it in the trees a bit perhaps.

There's a bit of fringe pixels on the lower left on the butterfly wings too... very slight, but it keeps drawing my attention to it.

Your masking/composition skills have grown a ton dude. Your text placement needs to be slightly refined - look at Rush's first image to see where text couldn't be placed any better... seriously, it hits the right spot, style, and just fits in where it needs to fit in.

Cool imnage, needs to be refined just a bit - I'm nitpicking - in a few places before it just takes a life of it's own. If anything, I like the image a ton dude. Good work!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

thanks gerbs I was hopin you would poke in. Another thing which has been brought up before is perfect shading is still somewhat eluding me. I also think I need to break out and do more abstract images.

As an aside what do you mean about having the text hide in the trees? Like have it actually behind some trees in the depth field? These are the kinds of things I need to start conceptualizing and execute now that I'm starting to be less hindered by my PS skills.

-From a work for hire ad

Yep... mask out a tree or two, place the text behind it but not obscure the text... add a bit of a homegrown shadow - forget layer styles dude, go hand-built layers all the way for the control - and your text in that image would have been a bit more "worked in"...

I can show a copy if need be... but I tend to do things with text like hide it or something as such to make it look more integrated. Not a big fan of having the text overpower the image and that boldness in your text almost did just that.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Super impressive image JWin! I really like it

Thanks O!

-From a work for hire ad

Banned
    Awesome image Jwin -

I'm new here but would you mind running through it as in , Did you make the Buttlerfly wings or did you take them from a pic? The source pic, how does it look? What tools did you use to cut out the wings and put it on the chick etc?

That would rock man, nothing deep just briefly plz

This is really quick and dirty, if you got any questions feel free to ask. All work is done in photoshop.

You got your image on a background so create a new layer mask so we can mask out the background. This example is easy since it's on a white background but its not much harder taking objects out of complex backgrounds.

Then use the paint brush to paint on the mask using black to 'erase' everything you don't want. This is good cause if you screw something up you can flip the brush color to white and paint everything back in.

And you can see I just dropped the butterfly on the background, positioned the girl on top of it and added a slight shadow for depth.

Glad you liked it and I hope this helps.

-From a work for hire ad

Not to steal your thunder but if you are ****e with the mouse and/or don't feel like tracing the entire contour, you can duplicate the butterfly, drop it to grayscale, up the contrast to get a completely white bg, completely black butterfly. Then inverse the image to get a white butterfly on a black bg. Copy entire image to a new alpha channel. Ctrl-click alpha channel to get a masked selection, go back to the original butterfly, add a new layer mask with the selection still intact and there you go. More steps but considerably much less time. To each his own.

Shweet little tut, JWin.
    mrush