A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's an easy way to create a pop-up text box on mouseover?

What's an easy way to create a pop-up text box on mouseover?

I have Studio MX 2004 and I'm looking for an easy way (and the easiest tool to use between Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash [and I'm guessing 'Fireworks']...or maybe Flash) to create not a 'pop-menu', but 'a Pop-Up TEXT box' on a mouseover event.

For example, please perform the following steps to see what I would like to do:

1)Google 'Product Demos'
    2)Click on 'Blackberry' link at top of list 3)A selection of product thumbnails appears...click on any product link 4)A Flash presentation loads....Click on 'Interactive Views' in the lower right-hand corner.
    5)Go to the upper left-hand corner and click on 'Included Applications' to see the text pop-ups activated when you mouse over parts of a graphic (in this case, each icon)....AND THEN...click on the next one in the list, 'Handheld Features' to see text pop up boxes activated once you mouse over the textual captions (or pointers).

This is the effect I would like to achieve when a user mouses over a section of a figure or illustration, or over a textual caption itself.

NOTE: It would also be cool to find an easy way to create that 360 degree-turn effect (almost 3-D like)....see the '360 View' link.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to your continued support within your next reply.

Kind regards

The text is a button symbol. The popin box is a text box in frame 2, the over frame.

the 360 this is just a horizontal scroller that is scrolling through the frames of a movie clip, with a different view on each frame. It only takes 18 images at the appropriate angles to get a smooth 360 of anything.

Thank you for your reply. How do I do this if I want the viewer to mouse over a part of a graphic (maybe a transparent button?)...sort of like an image map, but instead of it being a URL path, a text box appears. Is this achieved in an easier way by using Fireworks or Dreamweaver? Just thought I'd ask.

Cheers for now,

John

In flash, you could use an invisible button. Make a fill color, no outline, in frame 4, and add the text box in frame 2. So effectively, it's invisible until you mouse over it.