A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Streaming Audio Syncing Problems

yeah i think i got it workin. on the first keyframe put a sound >> edit the sound and put the volume all the way down >> then choose STREAM in the properties and choose repeat 8000. My heavy graphic and 18 scene movie that was falling outta sync just got back into sync the whole way through when i did this. It makes flash really stream like it's supposted to. Oh the next frame after the first frame of the sound put a blank keyframe.

I think this is the right way to make the "kicker" but i'm not sure. it seemed to work though.

That didn't work either. And to test it further, I did it multiple times through the movie. That didn't work.

I think I'll just give up.... The file's probably corrupted or something.

Oooo. Now I got a new problem on a different thing. The sound for one scene starts in the scene before it. (somebody shoot me)

yeah this is the worst prollem ever! so frustraiting. I remember that the kicker fixed it though I think i'm doing something wrong. Yeah i even had sounds starting before their scenes too. sucks. The kicker I made last night worked for me though. When I find the tutorial that shows howto do it i'll post back. It's a real life saver. i wish i could find the damn thing. See heres a heavy ass cartoon i made that i was having big sound troubles with but the kicker fixed it.

fling fling 4

I think it works anyways haha

I've been having the same issue... I have a looooong presentation with several WAV files, broken up by paragraphs.
    In general, if the user starts the presentation and just lets it play, the audio syncs well enough. However, being as it's a looooong presentation, they also have the ability to pause, rewind, jump forward. All those actions basically just move the playhead forward and back along the timeline... and according the wizards at Adobe... "stream" sounds are supposed to be locked to the playhead. Obviously not true, because as soon as the user "navigates" within the presentation, the audio won't sync up anymore... usually it's only off by about 10 - 15 frames, but in the longer sections, it can be a lot more.

Anybody know what the deal is????

It seems from previous posts on this issue that the longer the timeline the more problems with stream sync. Sync seems to drift after several thousand frames and keeps getting worse.

Of course everyone has a little different story to report so it is hard to generalize about this problem. Obviously Adobe does not really appreciate this, and it has been a problem from day 1 until now (10 years worth).

A work around may be to break the animation into individual SWFs, with shorter timelines, but that is probably not what most people want to do to solve the problem.

Actually, the audio "kicker" that was talked about earlier in the thread, at first glance, seems to work for my project. Of course, it's not a very elegant solution... which means it probably won't work everytime. This problem obviously needs to be addressed by Adobe at the core level... or they just need to remove the word "sync" from any documentation related to Flash =)

Most people are encountering this with relatively short animations... I say short because the current project I'm working on is about 15 minutes of VO, but we've done presentations in Flash that have over an HOUR of voice over. And, to accomplish this we basically "stitched" together the different "sections" with Actionscript.
    Basically, we had a "Main" executable that loaded external swfs into a placeholder movie clip. Then, when that external swf reached the end, it would load up the next swf, and so on. We ended up breaking the VO by paragraphs, and in some cases, even sentences. So, we would have a separate swf for each paragraph sync'd with animation. We initially did this to keep the number of frames in each swf's timeline to a manageable size, generally, under 3000 is about all I personally deal with... Otherwise, it's hard to keep track of layers and where the keyframes are, and it becomes easier to shift the timing of graphics inadvertantly.
    We weren't aware of the audio syncing problems at the time. And, apparently, if the best solution is to keep the audio short by breaking it into sentences... well... that means you would have to keep track of HUNDREDS of external swfs. And, logistically speaking this can be a friggin' nightmare in a production environment when you have 6 cooks (artists) in the kitchen.

Anyway, sorry for being so wordy, but I've been forced to read hours and hours of forum posts to try and solve this problem for my job and hopefully some of you will benefit from my "research".

can you explain more about what a "kicker" is for those who are reading?

3000 frames or less seems to be what other people find as a limit for the SWF to keep sync between sound and graphics.

Using scenes may also cause problems, though I am not sure why.

I said "kicker" because that is what poster "Threebrain" called it. And it's his/her creation.

It seemed to work for the way I and my team construct our projects. Also, on a personal note, I just want to throw in 2 cents on Scenes... They seem to be more trouble than they're worth, based on a lot of posts I've read about audio (and other things) not working correctly with them. In fact, if you feel the need to have another scene, just make a MovieClip on your root timeline, name it "Scene 2", and place everything you need on ITS timeline. MovieClips are much more predictable, work better with ActionScript and Sound etc...

Ok, so that said, the "kicker" works with the way my team constructs projects (we don't use scenes). Generally, we will have a main timeline with any number of MovieClips and Graphics, which may or may not have their own timelines with animations. We tend to use Graphics as much as possible (utilizing the Play Once, Loop, Single Frame properties) instead of MovieClips because Graphics will play along with the root timeline (you can see the animation by scrubbing the playhead) Whereas, MovieClips play independently from the root timeline.

To make the "kicker":
    1) On the root timeline, make a new layer and name it "Audio JuJu" (or whatever)
    2) Add a sound to Frame 1 of the Audio JuJu layer.
    3) Click "Edit..." under the Properties Inspector and Pull the Volume all the way DOWN.
    4) Under the Properties Inspector, for the "Sync:" option pull-down select "Stream".
    5) Then, set the "Repeat" value to 8000.
    6) Insert a Blank Keyframe on Frame 2 of the "Audio JuJu" layer.

Why this works:
    I have no friggin' idea... and I don't know how the heck anyone even found this work around.... I'm guessing they got supremely annoyed and where like... "OH YEAH, FLASH!?!?!? WELL TAKE THIS!!!.... hey... it's sync'ing now..."

My best guess as to why this works:
    I think the key is the repeat 8000. I guess the idea is to suck up some of Flash Player's resources by making it work harder to check where the audio is relative to the playhead?? Or maybe it's trying to reset some audio cache 8000 times, so it ends up sync'ing correctly?? I don't know, and it makes no sense why this works.

Another note:
    I'm pretty sure performing this audio juju black magic eats up some sort of performance from Flash Player. I haven't tested this, but this probably means your animation won't play QUITE as smoothly as it would if you just had the audio with the animation, without the "Audio JuJu" layer. But, then again, without it, as you play through it becomes unsync'd... so pick your poison.

If anyone has Flash questions, (about this or some other issue) feel free to e-mail me: badabing1955@hotmail.com

Cheers.