A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A little help please

A little help please

Hi,

im trying to make a flash movie in which a line appears only after an object has moved over it. i managed to make make a movie with letters appearing after a ball moved in front of them but i had to use tons of layers for it. is there any other way in which i dont have to use alot of layers?

thanks for the help in advance

Use a mask layer.

i tried using a mask with motion, but the part of the image that is shown by the mask doesnt remain visible. what i want to do is keep whatever is shown visible.

Hey hishamalvi,

I remember doing something similiar to this about six months ago. I'm not sure I would recommend doing it the way I did, but I'll suggest it anyway. I used actionscript to move the movieclip around and every tenth of a second I created a new movieclip on the mask layer where the moving movieclip was. That is, every tenth of a second the mask layer was added to with a new movieclip that extended the area that was displayed.

This was for a very complicated shape. If you only want to reveal text in a pretty standard way, from left to right, for example, then you could just stretch a rectangle graphic or movieclip and use motion tweens on your mask layer.