A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: New online Flash magazine!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194

    New online Flash magazine!

    ok its finally here, thanks for all the support!

    www.flashculture.com

    If you find this site in any way useful let me know!, thanks!

    boombanguk

  2. #2
    Yes we can tomsamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Team Titan Secret Lair
    Posts
    4,666
    its a good start,you should fix the typical flash usability issues though (no right click open in new window,no mouse wheel scroll,no browser back button feature etc).
    I like it so far though,keep it up
    would be nice if you put a link to http://www.stimunationgames.com/ where you say stimunation

  3. #3
    Hype over content... Squize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Lost forever in a happy crowd...
    Posts
    5,928
    Oops, bit late for the photo now, sorry mate

    Nice work though, had a quick skim and I'll have a proper read later ( Just worried in case my interview is too negative. I've had a week off since then and I've rekindled my love of the world, as opposed to the angst ridden hatred of everything just a week or so ago ).

    Squize.

    PS. Weird being called "Richard", only my mum calls me that, or my gf when I've done something wrong

  4. #4
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    its a good start,you should fix the typical flash usability issues though (no right click open in new window,no mouse wheel scroll,no browser back button feature etc).
    I like it so far though,keep it up
    would be nice if you put a link to http://www.stimunationgames.com/ where you say stimunation
    Thanks for the comments. I'll fix the Flash issues as time goes on, for now I just wanted to get as much info in there as I could for launch. But..

    What do you mean by "no right click open in new window" ?
    and mouse wheel scroll, I can get that to scroll the browser window but not the scrollpane (I'm using MX)

    I've changed the text as you suggest so it now says "http://www.stimunationgames.com/" but its not a clickable link yet.

    Oops, bit late for the photo now, sorry mate
    its cool

    Nice work though, had a quick skim and I'll have a proper read later ( Just worried in case my interview is too negative. I've had a week off since then and I've rekindled my love of the world, as opposed to the angst ridden hatred of everything just a week or so ago ).
    that doesn't come across though, I think it was a great interview, with interesting points.

  5. #5
    Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,988
    Great start looking forward to seeing it develop. Nice interview too .

    Ali

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    148
    Took a quick look at your site. Yeah nice interview and some of your links in the news section was useful, like the link to designer/developer salaries.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    thanks.

    theres actually 2 interviews there, one with Mark ferdman of freedom interactive design and one with squize, maybe I need to make that clearer, hmm.

    Glad you like the articles, I'm always scouring the net looking for interesting bits.

  8. #8
    more now more
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    80
    I'm impressed with the amount of info you've got in there. The interview is great (nice work on Sakkara Squize!). Overall it feels too Flash MX though - the non resizable layout, over-anti-aliased text, and default grey scrollbars... I think designers (particularly) coming to it for the first time may take it less seriously because of that; because it looks old. Version 2.0 will be cool I reckon
    \\ \\\
    \\\\\\

    FuturLab | Blog

  9. #9
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    It's a cool website, but I have one issue with it : it's in Flash, which is actually a bad idea for a site about flash games, imho. The reason is that it will slow down any other flash content, even just a little bit. It's the same reason why I don't like Flash ads on a Flash games website.
    It also means I can't press control-f and find something on the page without having to read over everything.

    What do you mean by "no right click open in new window" ?
    On normal html links, you can press right button and choose "open in new window". Can't do that with flash by default.

    Other than that, it's very cool. Nice domain name, too.

  10. #10
    more now more
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    80
    btw - I found this line "As for offline, funnily enough just yesterday I was looking at the Torque engine as a vehicle for offline work as opposed to doing it in Flash / Zinc." - in both interviews
    \\ \\\
    \\\\\\

    FuturLab | Blog

  11. #11
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by routine404
    I'm impressed with the amount of info you've got in there. The interview is great (nice work on Sakkara Squize!). Overall it feels too Flash MX though - the non resizable layout, over-anti-aliased text, and default grey scrollbars... I think designers (particularly) coming to it for the first time may take it less seriously because of that; because it looks old. Version 2.0 will be cool I reckon
    Thanks. I can see your point about it being too MX, but to be honest if you are going to do this in Flash I think MX is the best bet cos of the penetration.
    The biggest thing I wanted to achieve with it, is for the information to be readily available. If you want the best websites then you go to the best sites and there they are, nice thumbs of the latest and greatest, no fuss. And the same for the rest of the info. I don't know about you but i'm fed up having to always search for things, games/sites whatever. The point of this site is that I do that for the reader, especially articles/news etc about what we are all interested in.

    Content is king as they say, especially for this kinda site, the design etc i'll evolve as time goes on, but it would be nice to keep it Flash.

    It's a cool website, but I have one issue with it : it's in Flash, which is actually a bad idea for a site about flash games, imho. The reason is that it will slow down any other flash content, even just a little bit. It's the same reason why I don't like Flash ads on a Flash games website.
    It also means I can't press control-f and find something on the page without having to read over everything.
    I agree, but it bugs me when I find websites that are all about Flash, that are in html, it just rubs me the wrong way. Of course I know the reason why people are still using Html, but this is the first version of the website, and I will improve its usability over time, but hopefully keeping it in Flash. I'll try to use what tricks I can within Flash to give the user some of the simple luxuries that html gives us!

    Quote:
    What do you mean by "no right click open in new window" ?

    On normal html links, you can press right button and choose "open in new window". Can't do that with flash by default.

    Other than that, it's very cool. Nice domain name, too.
    thanks

  12. #12
    more now more
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    80
    it's a good effort man - both of those interviews are really good, and I agree the domain is really well positioned to bring a huge amount of traffic. Keeping content king is the right attitude too, and I appreciate it's the first version of the design - but if you're going to keep it in Flash, I think it's really got to be taking advantage of what the newer versions of flash give you in terms of usability and presentation. doing a full site in Flash rubs the majority of people up the wrong way - especially those who hear about how flash is used badly on a daily basis (all of us probably). So I just think it would be nice to have a Flash Community site at least doing it the way it should be done... Keep it up, it's a good start!
    Last edited by routine404; 07-09-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    \\ \\\
    \\\\\\

    FuturLab | Blog

  13. #13
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by routine404
    it's a good effort man - both of those interviews are really good, and I agree the domain is really well positioned to bring a huge amount of traffic. Keeping content king is the right attitude too, and I appreciate it's the first version of the design - but if you're going to keep it in Flash, I think it's really got to be taking advantage of what the newer versions of flash give you in terms of usability and presentation. doing a full site in Flash rubs the majority of people up the wrong way - especially those who hear about how flash is used badly on a daily basis (all of us probably). So I just think it would be nice to have a Flash Community site at least doing it the way it should be done... Keep it up, it's a good start!
    once the F8 player penetration rates hit the same as MX i'll probably do a re design with F8, but for now i'll just improve it in steps as suggested.

    As a side issue, anybody got suggestions for the monthly poll?

  14. #14
    Yes we can tomsamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Team Titan Secret Lair
    Posts
    4,666
    regarding the monthly poll you could ask which flash version people use right now,mx,7,8 or 9
    I thought a while if i should post on the same topic,im not into pushing you all into the corner where you have to defend youself,but yeah,after all i think youd profit more by changing it,so here i goes:
    I totally agree with the others on whether to use flash to do a whole website or not.
    Flash has its strengths and its weaker sides,because of those itd be ok with having an entire flash driven website if the site was utilizing flashs strengths (heavy media/video or organic layout driven for example).
    Your site is a typical data driven blog like site though,i cant see a point at all in having it done in flash other than just for havin it done in flash in this case.

    The more your site is only made up of text and links,the more downsides of flash sites for such type of site get into focus of the user (things already noticed here, next to stuff like no good google search site indexing which is not that important in terms of games as they spread anyway but really bad in terms of websites).
    I also badly miss ctrl+F.

    If you do this type of site in flash imho (which id only suggest in case you intend to change the site towards using the strenghts of flash more) you HAVE to do it for the newest flash player version possible imho,too.
    Some reasons:
    -f7 allows custom right click menu content (-->open links in new window ability)
    -f7 allows mousewheel support for components etc
    -f8 allows cacheASBitmap-->Vector driven stuff like components can consume way less performance.
    -f8 allows crisper text rendering.

    Those are not the features of the flash versions id decide upon whether to do my game for this and that flash version or not,but yeah,in case of a website those are really crucial.
    Especially in case of data driven websites who normally act and look as no flash sites,people will expect that most basic html functionality and behaviour.

    On a sidenote your site is aimed at flash users and more flash (game) developers,so theres really no sense aiming for a lower player version,your target audience should surely have the latest player installed within less than 3 months after release

    Again,i dont post this to some kind push you into deffensive corner,i like the concept of your site and if its usability and look raise it would be good for you just as it would be nice to the user.
    oh,btw i noticed something weird about the interviews teaser on top: once you click on an interview you cant use the prev and next buttons on the teaser anymore unless you go back to the main menu
    Last edited by tomsamson; 07-10-2006 at 01:54 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member The Helmsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    _root
    Posts
    450
    I have only several suggestions on how you can improve your site:
    - you mix styles: some pages use cartoon appearence with anti-aliased fonts, some of them used not-anti-aliase fonts (see "about us" page for example)
    - the grey color don't works good with white fonts (at least the grey tint you used)
    - and finally website leaves me with a strong feeling of incomplete job :/
    But nice try....

  16. #16
    Heli Attack! iopred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    923
    Nice interviews, nice site apart from the stated design/feel issues, my only gripe, no HA3 in the games list!
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

  17. #17
    Hype over content... Squize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Lost forever in a happy crowd...
    Posts
    5,928
    I'm pretty much with the other guys in terms of presentation and useability. I personally hate seeing an AntiA font in a text box like that.
    But like everyone else has said, it's got a load of potential, and it's a great start, good work mate

    ( btw, gone through my 100+ mails this morning, I've only been away a week! Wasn't ignoring you mate, was in Sunny Wales eating and drinking like a king ).

    Squize.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Gloo pot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia Mate!
    Posts
    874
    BOOKMARKED!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is great

    EDIT
    I think none of your links work on your site... Thats might just be me but everything up said it couldnt be found.

    EDIT2:
    Dont worry i fixed it... For some reason my internet sometimes only lets me view flashkit, LOL... I can surf FK as much as i want but it would even let me open up google...
    Last edited by Gloo pot; 07-10-2006 at 08:48 AM.
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

  19. #19
    Untitled-2.fla
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall_X
    It's a cool website, but I have one issue with it : it's in Flash
    i completely agree, but for a diffetent reason.
    flash is always a bad platform to develop sites in, especially sites that orrer information.

    what if i want / i can't':

    print out the articles
    resize the text to see the articles...
    to see my article full screen flash takes a fair bit of extra work to get everything to scale and still look good
    view it on my PDA
    i'm partially blind, i rely upon a screen-reader

    having all the content in flash is not good for search engines... only a few people will find your site on a search engine.

    sorry i'm all about the accessability.
    hope it helps
    Last edited by token 3; 07-10-2006 at 01:57 PM.

  20. #20
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    [QUOTE=token 3]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall_X
    It's a cool website, but I have one issue with it : it's in Flash/QUOTE]

    i completely agree, but for a diffetent reason.
    flash is always a bad platform to develop sites in, especially sites that orrer information.

    what if i want / i can't':

    print out the articles
    resize the text to see the articles...
    to see my article full screen flash takes a fair bit of extra work to get everything to scale and still look good
    view it on my PDA
    i'm partially blind, i rely upon a screen-reader

    having all the content in flash is not good for search engines... only a few people will find your site on a search engine.

    sorry i'm all about the accessability.
    hope it helps
    Yeah, I agree on most points, except : "having all the content in flash is not good for search engines... only a few people will find your site on a search engine."

    Some clever tricks can solve this (invisible divs or something).

    However, just thought of another issue : suppose I want to send the interview with Squize out to someone. How do I get the link to it?

    What I would consider doing is keeping parts of it in Flash (navigation), but the content in html. Off course it's your site, so it's your call.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center